Fusing Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryA

Reaction score
Getting a plan together for wiring for my boat. I was looking at the paper from the front running light and it calls for a 2amp fuse. I'm going to wire both the running and stern light togther on a 3 way switch. What should I use for a fuse amperage considering both lights will be on the same circuit?
Also, does anyone know what I should fuse a Rule 500 GPH pump at?

You may want to consider putting an inline fuse on each positive wire coming off your switch running to your lights. That way a short or other problem in one does not take out both.

If the pump calls for a 2.5 amp fuse? USE A 2.5 AMP FUSE!
If you use a 5 amp fuse and that pump stops turning it will start on fire. The fuse is there to protect the motor. Using a fuse higher than recommended could lead to you buying a new fire extinguisher and thousands of dollars for a new boat to go under it.

Hanr3 said:
If the pump calls for a 2.5 amp fuse? USE A 2.5 AMP FUSE!
If you use a 5 amp fuse and that pump stops turning it will start on fire. The fuse is there to protect the motor. Using a fuse higher than recommended could lead to you buying a new fire extinguisher and thousands of dollars for a new boat to go under it.

I have to check if i can get a 2.5 amp in the style I need. I looked through my fuses and currently the closest I have is a 3 amp. I can stop about anytime to check on that. Not needed at the moment anyway.
yeah, I wouldn't use a 5 amp in a circuit that calls for a 2.5. That would be a bad idea.

CarlF said:
You may want to consider putting an inline fuse on each positive wire coming off your switch running to your lights. That way a short or other problem in one does not take out both.
Divide watts by volts to give you amps ie: 30watts divided by 12volts = 2.5amps remember you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket. You my want to watch your wire size all so under sizing wires will cause higher amps .

Latest posts