Garter Snake vs. Toad (Lots of PICTURES)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The snake did grab the toad from the rear end.
Most likely though it was because thats the narrower part of the toad,easier to got down.

I would have guessed that he might stay put for a bit, and eventually move on. But on second thought, that would leave him exposed for whatever around your parts sees him as prey.
Popeye - My $$$ lies on some things give snakes gas; toads, not sure? If I were to venture to guess what kind; silent and deadly seems to fit the MO.

Actually, as soon as he finished eating, he started looking for his hole to hide in. Snakes, and all reptiles, don't really have the thought/instinct capacity to be weary of prey until the situation presents itself. VERY SMALL brains (like the dinosaurs)

The snake did grab the toad from the rear end.
Most likely though it was because thats the narrower part of the toad,easier to got down.

Actually, (again), snakes usually (most of the time) eat their prey head first. This makes it an easier eat because arms/legs will fold back against the body and be much narrower than if they had to fold forward (such as the toad's case).

I was very surprised that the snake ate him from the backside. But, snakes that are NOT constrictors and eat their prey live, such as the Garter, usually capture their prey by finding it and taking a bite into it (without a strike). If the bite happens to be in the back...so be it. Constrictors, on the other hand, strike their prey and most times hit the head before constricting. If they don't hit the head, so be it....they still constrict their prey until dead, then move around to eat head first.

(Edit)...SNAKES DO FART! It's a nasty gross runny fart in my bigger snakes.

Some toads can blow themselves up to make them look bigger.
Thats why some snakes will try ito eat from the rear because it's narrower,just seen it on tv acouple nights ago and we all know the tv never lies:)
I always thought head first as well.