gas sitting in outboard for a few years

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I've been doing a little CL shopping, and I came across a deal. Problem is, the owner says the gas has been sitting in it for a few years. Its an 84 mariner 30 HP.

I know NOTHING about outboards. I know a few guys with 2 stroke knowledge, but I'm scared it will only get me so far.

If I can't see the motor run, whats the worst case scenario? All the seals eaten up? Gas hoses ruined? Motor ruined?

I know I'll get plenty of "Dont buy it dumby" responses, but if its likley fixable for under 100 bucks, I'll take my chances.

Any input?

Carbs taken off & cleaned.Check for cracked fuel lines but they will probably be OK.New water pump impeller.Take a compression test & if above 120 you shouldn't have to put too much money in it.Check to make sure it has spark also.If you have electrical problems that could run as much as few hundred on those Mariners.

Figure on a new gas tank just to be safe. If gas has been sitting in it for years, then it will be gummed up & probably water in it from condensation. Safer to just replace it.
My advice is to replace the fuel lines & bulb too, cheap insurance, get a fresh tank of gas with a can of SeaFoam in it and see if she will crank.
If not, check for spark, if you have spark, probably a gummed up carb. Last time I had a carb professional cleaned, it was $100.00.
If no spark, well, I cant help you in that department!

Not only just the gas sittin around but any kind of motor that just "sits" around a few years is a bad thing anyway. Not saying it wont go ahead and turn over and probably start and run but you are always taking a chance with something after it has been sitting a while.
If you can get it pretty cheap.........50-75 bucks,then i would prob. do it because if anything you can probably sell it for parts for what you give for it?.
Thats just my 2 cents worth :wink:

How much is he asking for it?
I would ask to see it run when you look at it. If it runs, then still do all the other stuff i recommended too.
If it wont crank , then you may have to take a gamble.

Latest posts