Gas Tank Repair - Hole Repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know where my head was at for the past few posts regarding repairing metal gas tanks.
I bought a 1990 Toyota Camry that had a salvaged metal gas tank in it from the junk yard.
By law, they must puncture a 1/2" hole in the tanks to drain the gas.
The previous owner did this and it leaked a week after I bought it - this is when I found the problem. I dropped the
gas tank and drained the fuel, replaced the fuel pump while at it and removed all the inspection plates as well.

The reason for the P/O epoxy patch didn't hold was clear - he polished the metal to a smooth mirror finish.
When preparing any metal surface for a plastic repair, the metal must have a rough finish, or "tooth" to grip.
The more ruffer - the more gooder.

I got some PERMATEX two part Radiator and Fuel Tank epoxy and repaired the hole. That was 6 months ago.
It is still firm and holding tight. I dented the area with a ball peen hammer, made a small metal backer plate so the
epoxy could hold from the back as well as the front, sort of like a sandwich.

I am sure other brands are available: LockTite, JBW, etc - just make sure it states GAS RESISTANT on the label.

Permatex® Fuel Tank and Radiator Repair Kit
Permatex Fuel Tank & Radiator Repair is a two-component stick that when kneaded together,
it can seal holes, seams or cracks on metal tanks, radiators or gas cans.
It provides excellent chemical and moisture resistance and is non-flammable.

Attachments

• 091165.jpg
    091165.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 369