Go away Hurricane FAY!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While filling a boat with water does seem like a good idea for some, others that have put a fair amount of time and money into modifications might not want water sitting in their boat for a couple of days to a week. Marine ply or treated ply isn't really designed for total immersion for extended periods of time. Now if you said lining the interior with some heavy plastic drop cloth and then filling it... maybe. Personally I would do something different.

1. You could take it with you. Put your stuff in it and go. Plus side is you can take more stuff, minus side is fuel economy
2. I have 840 pounds of sand bags used for winter driving weight (twelve 70# bags), load them puppies in the boat, cover it and chain the trailer to a tree. When putting the cover on the boat in addition to any straps attached to the edge of the cover I would wrap a rope around the boat to reduce stress on the sewn on straps.
3. If you don't have a cover leave the plug out and chain the trailer to a tree or fence post (metal preferably).
4. If you don't have a cover or trailer, then I would flip it over and chain it (front and back) to something sturdy.

Of course a garage would be best but remember that a garage door is generally the weakest link in keeping a hurricane/tornado out of your house.

Just my random thoughts

Not much call for winter sandbags in Florida. :lol:

We routinely get storms with 40-50 mph + gusts here in the spring (and even in the winter anymore). I've never had to do anything to my boat(s). Even my featherweight 1448 rides them out.

Granted, 40-50mph gusts aren't hurricane strength but if you get hit by 100mph winds or a tornado, a few sandbags or half load of water probably won't stop the kite that an aluminum boat with a large surface area is going to turn into.

That's what they make insurance for. :wink:

Latest posts