Got a little work done *updated 8/16

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitaker201

Reaction score
Well I had the chance to finally get a little work done to my jet. I cleaned up the impeller(really need to order a new one) the leading edges were almost flat. I staightend the grates and put a small chamfer on the bottom side. Also I set the spacing of the impeller to the wear ring. It had a gap about 1/16" wide maybe more with no shims on top of the impeller. It took about 4 shims on top to get the gap close to the 1/32".....I probably could have moved another shim or two to get the gap even closer. The wear ring is ok and I think I will see what the boat does before I consider replacing it.

My before numbers was 20mph upstream and 24mph down and a slow hole shot. I hope to get out this weekend and see if the preformance is any better.

Had the chance to run it over the weekend and now I am at 23mph up river and 27mph down river. Hole shot is better than before too. I need to move a couple more shims to above the impeller because I can get the motor to 6500rpm still and that should help the top end speed and the hole shot a little more even.

I am still learning how to get her set up but in time I will get her dialed in.

Woohoo added my recessed tm tray last night. Sorry no pics. I still need to adjust the shims a little more on the impeller and move my batteries forward. Maybe this winter I will replace the plywood front deck with a aluminum sheet and a lid then move both batteries in there.

Wood like to see pictures.sounds like you are coming along good

I'll add some pics next week when my StickIt Brake (shallow water anchor) comes in.

You do not want the gap any closer than 1/32". I had mine closer and my motor would not start when in the water. I know of two other people this has happened to. Adjusted one washer and it was fine.

Scott

Thanks for the tip Scott! I am sure I would have ran into that problem. I guess you have to find that fine line of not to big of a gap and a gap just big enough for clearance.

Ok I cleaned up the liner a little, put a better edge on the impeller, cleaned up the nicks and burrs on the foot and now I am getting happy with the performance of the rig. I am now up to a 26-27mph avg. solo and the hole shot is better. With two guys I am getting 24mph up current and 27mph down current. I still need to put on the plate from the hull to the foot and adjust the height of my foot and I might be able to squeeze a little more out of her.

I will get a couple pics this week.

Here is a pic of my deck with the recessed TM foot pan and the StickIt Brake on the front. Yep I put the tray a little to far forward! #-o
ry%3D400

I replaced the starter and finished up the skid plate last night. The skid plate is not fancy and is a little rough looking but I made it with a vise, hammer, and drill. It was made from a .125" thick piece of aluminum I got from the recycle center.

ry%3D400

The last few things on my to-do list for the boat is:
1. Move Batteries to front. Got to buy a hatch lid first.
2. Get a bigger TM. The 30#er will not cut it in some of the current I am trying to fish in.
3. Play with engine height.

Over the last week I finished up some work on the front deck. I have now moved my batteries to under the front deck and upgraded to a 67# TM. :D It was not as easy as I thought it would be. The first problem I ran into was running the wire to the new location. There were a few more things in the way than I thought. The other problem I did not expect was the foam under the carpet had more of a taper to it than I thought, so I had to remove enough foam so the batteries would fit under the deck. Now it runs pretty level with just me in it. Here are a few pics of the front deck now.
Front deck:
ry%3D480

New battery compartment:
ry%3D480

I am still only running 2 batteries, but I am running a 24V TM so one battery is used for both the TM and starting the big motor.

A few more goodies added! Last night I put on my UHMW foot, a new liner, and new impeller. I also went to 3 batteries because I kept running down the starting battery with it tied to the TM too. I replaced the solenoid on the motor earlier in the week. I hope that solves my starting problems. [-o<

I am ready to try her out this weekend!

Yes the 92 60/40 Evinrude with a L pump. The L pump uses the large foot. I got it from jetdoctor.net. They were good to work with, answered all my questions, and I had my parts in 2 days. :D

Latest posts