Got my first boat ever

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomKat

Reaction score
I am looking to make a duck blind boat. My thought was that an old Jon Boat would be the perfect way to get where I want to go, so to speak. So this weekend I got a deal on Craigs List I couldn't pass up-

This is a 15x42 Jon that needs a little bit of work. The good thing is the motor is a one pull motor.

BlueRiver2010003.jpg

BlueRiver2010004.jpg

The trailer is in really good shape with new (working) lights

BlueRiver2010006.jpg

I don't know what this ugly thing is for, but it won't be there long
BlueRiver2010010.jpg

BlueRiver2010007.jpg

I have read a LOT of the posts on this forum, but I am still going to ask some questions. My idea is that I would paint it camo, modify the interior as needed, and construct a blind for it. Price IS a concern, I am looking to do it as cheaply as I can. But ANY AND ALL advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

QUESTION: Can I take the seat out of this boat and not damage the structural integrity?

Welcome to the site.
Nice boat you found.
I'm thinking he might of had a bigger outboard on that boat and those "structure" thingys were there to add support to the transom(maybe).The wood on the outside of the stern doesn't seem original either.
Lots of potential nice first boat.

Welcome man, that is a very nice boat. I would check the transom before dumping her in the water, not sure if that was support for a bigger motor, or if its some sort of reinforcement due to a weakness in the current transom. If it were just a duck boat, i am sure you could get a cheap interior and paint. I have a 14ft Jon, just keep in mind weight.

Take a look at www.duckhuntingchat.com for cheap ways to build a blind.

Cool! 8)
I had two boats like that, both smaller, but I wish I could find a good deal like you got.

Make your blind removable, stow-able so you can use the boat for Crappie and Catfish.
Your right about that little 6 Hp. I still have the one my Dad bought brand new in 65 and it's still like new as far as usability goes.

I will have to live with the motor for now, its all I can afford.

I would like to take the middle seat out, but don't want to hurt the hull. I have read that some people make braces to replace the seat....

Check out Bufford's mod for an idea of bench removal. I only see one rib going up the side, and it doesn't seem to go very high. That said, I would not be removing the bench's unless it was like Bufford's, or without a plan to replace the structural support the benches now provide.

Good luck, and nice rig ya got there.

I built this bad boy for my Seaking 1432 flat bottom this summer... cost me just under $100 to finish it out. it works well....way better than I ever imagined. It is removable and takes all of about 20 seconds to set up/1 minute to tear down (mainly tucking in the camo netting)

https://www.txwaterfowler.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20485&KW=

hope this helps...shoot me any questions you have on it....

that is excellent, exactly what I needed to see. After I get the basic painting/mods done, this is the next step, and you just helped me out.

Where is Bufords Mod?

That thread was very helpful! I am about the same size as Buford, and it made me feel good to see another big boy in a modified jon boat. Thank you for posting that link. YEAH!! I can have an open plan!!

Since this boat will be mostly a duck boat it will be very handy to have extra room for decoys, guns, dogs, etc...

I would certainly not take that seat out as like you suspect it helps with the stabalaztion but equally important it has floation foam under the seat....nice looking boat to make into a duck blind.

Thanks!

My research indicates that I can take ALL of the seats out of the boat if 2 things happen:

1) Structural integrity and hull support equal to, or greater than, the original seats provide is attended to. I have some ideas, and the internet has been helpful. What ever I do, this will be a priority. I think custom fabrication will be the answer.

2) Foam or another flotation method is employed that is equal to, or greater than the original seats provide is included. It will be, I dont want to run the risk of sinking my boat and losing everything.

Today I took it to the car wash to clean it up...unfortunetly it didn't make it look much better.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDEtMjAxMDEwMjAtMDkxNC5qcGc.jpg

What do you all use for cleaning old aluminium?

what part of Louisiana are you from? I presume you are from louisiana due to the boat numbers?
I am in the Baton Rouge area and finally getting started on my boat. I am taking it out one more time friday for a crappie trip and then it is moddy-mod time.

BTW--nice boat

redphysher said:
what part of Louisiana are you from? I presume you are from louisiana due to the boat numbers?
I am in the Baton Rouge area and finally getting started on my boat. I am taking it out one more time friday for a crappie trip and then it is moddy-mod time.

BTW--nice boat

The boat (and me) are in Kansas, yes the place with tornados and wheat. It did come from LA, but I dont know any more than that.

thudpucker said:
How come your wetting it down in a Car Wash? That boat will work out prettywell as a vehicle to catch crappie n other stuff in the water ya' know! :lol:

The inside had a lot of leaves, ect in it...it needed a wash.

Today I got a new 6 gallon fuel tank, lines, and connectors. The old one was leaking, it seems like cheap insurance.

I took the boat off of the trailer and inspected it. Looks like it has had some repair. Is this JB Weld? Bondo?

oct232010009.jpg

oct232010005.jpg

oct232010007.jpg

oct232010019.jpg

oct232010017.jpg

Needless to say, Brandy was a big help (NOT) during the inspection, so I had MommaKat take this picture to appease her picture hog mood. That dog is a show off-
oct232010011.jpg

Latest posts