Got the [new] truck fever

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your current truck costing you money in maintenance? I don't understand why you would even think of picking up a brand new vehicle, and its payments, when your current vehicle isn't costing you more in maintenance than the payments on a new one.

Okay, got the truck! :) . Spent just about all day at the dealership, except for about an hour we took to get some lunch, run some paperwork around between our crdit union, and the insurance office, and now we're whooped (mentally).

stinkynathan said:
Is your current truck costing you money in maintenance? I don't understand why you would even think of picking up a brand new vehicle, and its payments, when your current vehicle isn't costing you more in maintenance than the payments on a new one.

The truck I just traded was an '01 4x4 SuperCrew with 100,658 miles exactly, and I bought it brand new. This past July I had to replace a computer module while I was out of state. Including labor, that cost me $679.00. It did it again a couple of weeks ago with no explanation. It was a very good truck, but when I have to start worrying about intermittent electrical problems, and the possibility of being stranded somewhere, it's time to change vehicles. Didn't want to get back into vehicle payments again, but I bit the bullet and went for it.

BLK fisher said:
Definitely work on them for a better price. I have an 05 FX4 F-150. The stciker was $39,987. I got if for $26,000. This is when the economy was good. The will work with you but be persistent.

That's a good deal you got! 8)

Waterwings said:
The truck I just traded was an '01 4x4 SuperCrew with 100,658 miles exactly, and I bought it brand new. This past July I had to replace a computer module while I was out of state. Including labor, that cost me $679.00. It did it again a couple of weeks ago with no explanation. It was a very good truck, but when I have to start worrying about intermittent electrical problems, and the possibility of being stranded somewhere, it's time to change vehicles. Didn't want to get back into vehicle payments again, but I bit the bullet and went for it.

Indeed. Probably a good time to move on and let the dealership mess with that thing.

Electrical problems suck.

stinkynathan said:
I can't comprehend it either. The whole idea of taking out a loan, and paying interest just seems illogical to me, at least on a depreciable asset (I can understand it on a house, or starting a business). If, instead of paying the loan company each month, that money was put into a savings account, and then used to pay cash on an item, the item, due to lack of interest, is significantly cheaper. I have never understood paying more for the same item. Granted, there are times where a vehicle is needed, and paying cash is not an option, but I cannot see why one would opt for a new one, as opposed to a lightly used one in good condition. Let somebody else take the hit on depreciation. Sure, I love a new truck/boat as much as anyone (and plan on new engines and the like when I build my next one), but I cannot see buying new when a loan must be taken out. Buy new when there is cash burning a hole in your pocket, that you are itching to spend.

Of course, I also can't see buying a new vehicle every few years, before the wheels fall off the current one, so I must be weird. I am still driving the 1989 Chevy Silverado my dad payed cash for, new, in '89, and put 400,000 miles on. $2500 more for a new engine this spring, and it is good for that again.

Just my opinion. Obviously, it works for 95% of middle class America, but it certainly makes no sense to me.

BTW, Congrats on the new car (F150 ain't quite a truck, sorry. :shock: :shock: :wink: ). Hope you have fun with it.

BTW, Congrats on the new car (F150 ain't quite a truck, sorry. ). Hope you have fun with it.

LOl, true, but I'm gettin' older and like my comfort. :wink: .

Jim said:
Congrats WaterWings! Good luck with the truck! Lets see some pics soon! :beer:

Thanks. As soon as the cable guy is through chasing-down the problem as to why we have no service (since Sunday night), I'll snap some pics. :)

I am still driving the 1989 Chevy Silverado my dad payed cash for, new, in '89, and put 400,000 miles on. $2500 more for a new engine this spring, and it is good for that again.

i wish they could make new vehicles as good as the oldns.

get an extended warranty. theres to many cheap made computers on these new rigs that dont like to stay alive much longer than the warranty

lookn forward to come pics, even though im a gm guy those new fords are lookin sharp

Thanks :) . Here's some pics I just took. Been raining here a bit.

95_13_10_09_3_37_40.jpg

95_13_10_09_3_38_44.jpg

95_13_10_09_3_39_43.jpg

95_13_10_09_3_40_25.jpg

(towels in rear floorboard are for covering the seats when we put the grandkids car seats in)

Very nice....

I wish I had sprung the extra for the FX4 package when I bought mine. Mine has all of the bells and whistles for the package (minus the gauges) but I like the color matching bumpers.

Quackrstackr said:
Very nice....

I wish I had sprung the extra for the FX4 package when I bought mine. Mine has all of the bells and whistles for the package (minus the gauges) but I like the color matching bumpers.

Thanks :) . I'm kinda the opposite and prefer chrome bumpers (weren't available). The chrome seems easier to get bugs off of, and endure rock damage better than paint, but I ain't taking it back, lol. The biggest problem (imo) around here are the coal trucks. Lots of debris flying off the tires (and sometimes the load carried) from them. I always stay way back from the coal trucks. :shock: . We have to make a trip to Florida in May for my oldest son's wedding, and I dread the lovebugs down there that time of year. They will absolutely destroy a paint job.

You could always leave it at the Nashville airport. :LOL2:

That's what I'm doing in about 2 weeks when we head to Disney.

Wife and I have talked about returning to Disney World again one day, and it'll be w/o kids, lol. Not into flying anymore (last time was probably 1983 as I recall), and prefer to drive, plus I plan on stopping at Mayport Naval Base on the way home. I spent two years there a long time ago ('73-'75), and told the wife I want to see the gray painted ships again, lol.

Latest posts