Got to get out today

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

switchback

Reaction score
Went to try for crappie but got into the white bass (sandbass) on the way to the crappie hole. Bought 4 dozen minnow and didn't use any of them. Caught a limit of 25 and 4 largemouth. First trip out this season. Next weekend I'll try for the crappie. Then maybe turkey the weekend after that.

sandbass limit 2 (Small).jpg

Nice catchin'. I plan to hit the river tomorrow for some of those. Hope I do as well as you did.

Well done - we only have white perch here - kinda like the White bass' stunted cousin

What was the bait / method of choice?

The lake I go to, I just troll around with a few bass colored Boomer A crankbaits. of course I have a certain part of the lake I do that on. I took a guy and showed him the way I did it and we took his boat. He was trolling really slow. I told him he had to speed up until my rod tip was bent a certain amout. He said we're trolling at 3 mph and he usually trolls at about 1 1/2 mph. I told him the sand bass like it faster than the large mouth but you'll catch both. He ended up saying, your right speed is the key. I usually do this where there are some drop offs from 7 or 8 ft. down to 15 ft. of water, or a few humps in a row.

I like my worm fishing to, but when it gets really hot here I go to this method to keep cool. Usually a breeze and can kick back and relax. The little tin boat is set up great for both methods.

I agree with any trolling speed is the key - your bait has to work correctly or it is a waste of time

Watching the bend in the rod is a great method

Nice job. Those jokers are fat! :shock:

The white bass should be getting ready to start their spawning run around here. I've never tried my hand at trolling for them but I hear of some big catches on KY Lake doing it.

Latest posts