Had a blast fishing Lake Guntersville

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poolie

Reaction score
Had an opportunity to fish Lake Guntersville this past Thursday and Friday with one of my brothers and had a blast. First off I apologize for not taking any pictures. Had my camera with me, but forgot to charge it before leaving the house and it was dead. My brother was fishing an FLW tournament Saturday so we were just doing the pre-fish.

The weather being a little cooler than normal had the grass a couple weeks behind where it would normally be the first of April so we had reset our expectations. Pulling a jig through the grass on Guntersville in the Spring is usually unbelievable.

Thursday was awesome. We both caught 9 each between 3 and 6 lbs and a dozen or so 2lb'ers. Brad got one to the boat that would have gone 10lbs, but she did a head shake and tossed his jig as he was bending down to lip her.... he was crushed. She had a mouth the size of a coffee can.

For the first time ever Thursday I got ahead of my brother (he's a way better fisherman than I am) and usually kicks my butt. Normally we always pull a brown jig with a Paca Chunk trailer through the grass and it's a deadly combination, but back in December I bought a couple bags of Gene Larew Biffle Bugs with matching Hard head jigs and have had good success with it this year so I had one of those tied on. We pulled up on a grass flat and within 5 casts I had three 4 pounders in the boat. He was like, what the h$^%# do you have tied on??? I pulled in one more and next thing I know he's over there tying one too. We fished both the jig and the Biffle Bug all day and the Bug definitely out fished the jig.

Friday was a pretty lousy day compared to Thursday. We fished all new water trying to find some new spots and only found one stop that was worthy of adding a waypoint to. We each still managed a limit of 5 around 18lbs per. The 20-25 mph wind didn't help much.

All in all it was a great time. I love fishing that lake and love fishing with my brother.

UPDATE: You know you've had a good time when you have a huge bruise in your side from jamming the rod butt in your side on a hook set. Dang it's sore.