Has anyone installed a kill switch for trolling motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what I was thinking of. But these are only rated for 30 amps. My motor is a 40 lb. thrust. I need to look for heavier duty ones, correct?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Seasensereg-Battery-Clips/1750206.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dbattery%2Bclips%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D16%26y%3D7&Ntt=battery+clips&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

This one is 50 amp, but it sounds like it might be too tight to disconnect if I fell in. Anyone?

https://www.motorguide.com/store/accessory/rigging/50-amp-clips

GTS225 said:
It might be better to arrange a light spring or gas shock to turn your trolling motor, should you no longer have control. This would cause your boat to travel in a circle, and would keep it in an area that you could easily get back to it, as well as calling attention to your plight, should you need assistance. You'll also have to fight the constant spring or shock pressure, but.....

Roger

Oh great, I don't just fall out of my boat, but I have a spinning prop come back around to attack me.

If you could find a way to make the rotating handle control spring back to the idle position I think it would be the simplest way. The only drawback back would be haveing to constantly work the control.

Why not just use a rod leash and attach it to you and the yak. If you fall out, then you don't get separated from the yak.

TNtroller said:
Why not just use a rod leash and attach it to you and the yak. If you fall out, then you don't get separated from the yak.

Even if I didn't get run down by the kayak, the kayak would still keep going after the leash broke from the force.

Does anyone think my idea would work or not?

Your idea should work. However, the suggestion of a longer tether would stop the yak .....After the TM motor was shut down.

The TM isn't going to break almost any size tether.

Everyone is just trying to help.

Thanks Rich. Do you guys think the clips in the link below would be too tight on the battery post to disconnect if I fell out? They have serrated edges, which will grip pretty well. I'm also wondering if the force might rip the tether off of my vest before the clip disconnects from battery post. Make sense?

https://www.motorguide.com/store/accessory/rigging/50-amp-clips

What about useing a double prong fuse holder similar to the larger one used in an AC unit. Instead of a fuse you could use a small piece of 1/4" stainless rod or something similar with an eye on it you could clip your lanyard to. Put it in line with your pos. wire. Maybe in a location more convenient that next to the battery terminals. If it gets tugged on it should pop right out.

I'm thinking maybe something similar to this.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426257131241.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426257131241.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 833
  • uploadfromtaptalk1426257138442.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426257138442.jpeg
    7.1 KB · Views: 833
Google trolling motors for kayaks, and then look at some of the "kits" that are offered, kill switches are available for this setup but I don't know how the wiring would be done. Search utube as well, I saw on video where there was a kill switch/tether, may have been a bassyak setup.