hatch lids & hinges?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaarc

Reaction score
? For you guys using piano hinge for your hatch lids. Are you putting the hinge on the lid and then carpeting or carpeting then putting the hinge on? Or is there another way I'm not thinking of?

Thanks Dave

Dave,

My hatches are metal, and the piano hinges are "hidden" whereas you only see the hinge (rounded part). I carpeted over mine. here's a quick drawing I made to show it:

Hatch_hinge_dwg.JPG

Thanks Waterwings. I'm using 1/2" plywood and I don't think puting the hinges on the edge of the lids would hold up too long so I think they will have to lay on top of the lids.

Dave

seaarc said:
Thanks Waterwings. I'm using 1/2" plywood and I don't think puting the hinges on the edge of the lids would hold up too long so I think they will have to lay on top of the lids.
Dave

After I posted that I got thinking about plywood and screws. Do you have access or know anyone that owns a router? You could use the router to cut a thin enough portion along the top edge of the wood to recess the hinge possibly. Just a thought:

recessed_piano_hinge.JPG

Hey seaarc I install my hinges after I carpeted my boat I have pics that I will post on tommorrow. I everything in place prior to carpeting then i drill my holes and then I installed my carpet. The piano hinge should sink a little once bolted to the wood.

Thanks for the idea about using router. I am carpeting front deck(1/2" ply) and painting the back deck. The back deck I am using strap hinges. But, on the front deck I am using piano hinges.

Here is the pic i promised seaarc I laid the hinges where I wanted them then drilled my holes removed the hinges . Then I carpeted then I installed my hinges using s.s. nuts and bolts along with a lock washer.

Attachments

• DCP_1675 (612 x 408).jpg
    DCP_1675 (612 x 408).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 940
We put down the carpet and then attached the hinges. Remember, you should have something else supporting the door besides the hinge. We used aluminum angle iron around the inside perimitter of the boxes. One of the last pages of the link...

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2537

i really want to hide my hinges like a poster above did, but i really fear the alignment issues
if it doesnt sit just perfectly the hinge will be taking the weight and get messed up rather quickly (i think?)
hmm, good idea w/ the router

Latest posts