Having trouble adding RAM!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMixson

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I am having trouble adding RAM to my computer. I am trying to go from 2 - 512MB sticks to 4- 1GB sticks. It will not start if I put more than one stick of 1GB in it. I have tested each stick by itself and it starts fine with each one so I know the RAM is good. But if I put another one in it will not start. If I put the two 512's back in it starts fine so I know the two slots that are to be used first are good. I have removed and replaced the CMOS battery to reset the system and it still will not accept more than one stick. It starts and the fans run but that is it. It does not even send signals to the monitor. I have an ASUS P4P800 motherboard with four 184 pin DDR DIMM sockets that are supposed to accept up to 4GB of memory total. I bought Samsung memory which is listed in the "Qualified Vendor List" in the manual. I bought it as a memory kit to fit this motherboard. I have never had problems adding memory to computers before. I thought memory was pretty much "plug and play". Any idea's on what I am doing wrong or not doing right would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried looking in the BIOS to see if there is a memory setting there? I use Intel boards which have memory info only but it may be your MB has a setting. That is the only thing I can think of. Maybe someone else has seen this problem and can help.

ok,this could be many things.try putting 1 stick in every other slot(2 gigs).and make sure your not trying to run dual channel ram if it isnt set up for it.theres a site call memory4all.it has a memory configurer.it will tell you what ram will work for you,and they sell it.being 184 pin,you should get it pretty cheap.sorry i cant help ya much.but i would need to see the system.i always use crucial,or corsair ram.

The BIOS will auto detect the memory if I only put in one 512MB stick and then auto detect when I put in one 1GB stick or the two 512's. I am wondering if there is a setting or jumper that I need to set so it can read memory over 1GB.

The sockets are set up to accept an identical pair in slot A1 and B1(blue sockets) and an identical pair in sockets A2 and B2(black sockets) for running in dual channel. I have tried running them in A1 and A2 but it does not work that way either. I have even tried running them in B1 and B2 simultaniosly and still nothing. The only way it will start is one stick 1GB or 512MB in A1 or two sticks of 512 in A1 and B1.

Will your system and software support that much memory?I can add 4 gig to my pc but Vista 32 bit I'm running will only support and utilize 2 gig.4 gig and my pc will not boot.

My system is supposed to handle 4GB. It may only show 3+GB due to ICH5R resource allocation(whatever that is). The RAM kit I purchased was for this system setup. It was from a qualified vender approved by ASUS. The memory itself is the brand approved by ASUS. The users guide says that memory from another vendor may not be suitable for this motherboard. I have sent an e-mail to the vendor, but it will be Monday before they get back to me at the earliest. They are closed on the weekend. I thank everyone for their help and info I have received on this matter.

ben2go said:
Will your system and software support that much memory?I can add 4 gig to my pc but Vista 32 bit I'm running will only support and utilize 2 gig.4 gig and my pc will not boot.

32 bit should support up to 3GB ram... 64bit is the only one that can utilize 4gb

russ010 said:
ben2go said:

32 bit should support up to 3GB ram... 64bit is the only one that can utilize 4gb

Here's the skinny on VISTA's RAM usage. Depending on the version it can use up to 128GB, but for the 32-bit editions of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Enterprise and Ultimate, all support a maximum of 4 GB of RAM.

https://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-Vista-Maximum-Supported-RAM-44487.shtml

The mobo is what will prevent using 4GB, not the OS.

Latest posts