HEAVY 1448 GRIZZLY, NEED HELP WITH MOTOR SUGGESTIONS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 14ft Starcraft V hull with a 30 e-tec electric start & power t&t. It's rated for the 30. Pulls my daughter up on ski's & even my 220lb fat butt up on a knee board with the wife driving & my 3 kids 4, 8 & 9 and a cooler. I have a 10 pitch stainless prop & get 5900 rpm trimmed out and 27 mph with all of us in it. Cruises at 19 mph at 4400 & burns less than a gallon an hr cruising. Kneeboarding & skiing it burns about 2 gallons an hr but it's getting run hard. I know these are 2 different hulls, just giving my experience with the e-etc. I absolutely love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good choice and that's a great price on that
Etec. The grizzly is a heavy boat. I would of
done a 30hp , but I know the difference is
about 1000 bucks .

bobberboy said:
I have this boat with a 25MercEFI w/T&T. Sucks out of the hole but good once on plane. I'd go with the 25 (which is max rated for this boat).
I know what your talking about with sucks out of the hole,it's a dog. The good news is they fixed that problem now by going away from the 1.92 gear ratio and making it at 2.17 which is night and day. It can spin a much bigger prop as intended due to the gear ratio change and now it's not a dog out of the hole. They should of done that from the get go.

scoobeb said:
bobberboy said:
I have this boat with a 25MercEFI w/T&T. Sucks out of the hole but good once on plane. I'd go with the 25 (which is max rated for this boat).
I know what your talking about with sucks out of the hole,it's a dog. The good news is they fixed that problem now by going away from the 1.92 gear ratio and making it at 2.17 which is night and day. It can spin a much bigger prop as intended due to the gear ratio change and now it's not a dog out of the hole. They should of done that from the get go.

So to show my lack of motor savvy, can that change be made to my existing motor? New lower end?

I'm sure you can order an up to date lower unit,I don't see why not. It won't be cheap though. The question is,is the cost say of $1k or possibly more worth that extra emmphhh to you. I have no doubt it will make a huge difference. You can also go another route and sell your motor for a good penny and then make up for the difference in cash. If you get a good penny for your current outboard you may only have to dish out less than a $1k and then you would have a brand new engine as well,some good things to think about. I know a place to that has a 2016 25hp efi suzuki in the box shipped to your door extremely cheap,I mean the deal of the century,it is a manual start shirt shaft engine. So you have tons of options. If your interested in the info let me know. The 25hp suzuki imo is the best 3 cylinder engine for the money with mega power as well as it's only 136lbs. Let me know.

Just wanted to throw that out to you just in case you were interested in going new.

I used to run a mariner 20 on a lowe 1648@275lbs for just the hull, it ran fine, right at 23-25 mph with 2 guys and a 110lb dog plus fishing gear ... the tracker is 150lbs heavier .. the 25 is the way to go ..

There is a guy on YouTube with a 1652 all welded tracker and he runs a 20hp 4 stroke merc on it and gets 25mph gps by himself. Loaded down with his kids and gear,etc...he said he's getting around 22-23mph,now that's not to shabby for a 20hp 4 stroke engine pushing an extremely heavy boat. All the 20hp 4 stroke engines are rather strong today but if the money is right and you can find a killer deal then a 25hp is hard to beat. It sounds like only 5hp and in reality that is all it is but it makes a huge difference going from a 327-351cc engine to a 489-577cc engine. I just put those numbers up because the 20hp cc's vary as with the 25hp cc's vary but you can see the monster difference on engine size and performance difference. So it's 5hp again in reality but when stepping up to a 25hp from a 20hp in 4 strokes they are 2 totally different animals, lol.

Big difference going from say like a 15hp to 20hp (very little performance difference in those two but yet 5hp difference. Going from a 20hp to a 25hp is night and day but a 5hp and huge cc difference as to where the 15 and 20 are identical engines and cc's just a different carb or computer setting.

Well got my new etec and been able to take it out twice, all I can say is wow! It's quite and strong as an ox. Gets me two trolling motor battery's and 6 gallons of feul up to 31 mph on slightly choppy water! Got it cheaper than I'd originally thought and it looks pretty sick on the back of my grizzly. Need to take better pics

Attachments

• IMG_20170304_095911818.jpg
    IMG_20170304_095911818.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 390
Nice,where did you purchase from? Did you have it shipped to you or does evinrude only do local pickup on 25hp and up?

Take care of her and she will take care of you for many yrs. Are you running 50 or 100:1,I know they come factory set at 50:1 which is dumb imo if it can run 100:1 out of the box. They should just set them all to 100:1 but it's just another way for dealers to make extra money by switching it from 50 to 100:1. I was going to get one a few yrs back and the dealer charges like an extra $100 or so to change it over. Money,money,money,lol. Good luck.

C and p marine in Burnside KY, I'm running the XD 50 blend it's cheaper and the warranty is 10 years either way. They bolted it on for no extra charge and even sent a mechanic to the lake with me to make she she ran fine. Took an hour of there time to go over every lil feature the engine had. Good people

The oil is cheaper but 100:1 burns much slower because at that setting it uses very little oil so at 100:1 you will get twice the life out of a full tank of oil which in the long run will run your bill much,much cheaper. Plus at 100:1 you will get almost no carbon buildup as with 50:1 likely. 100:1 is also full synthetic oil vs blend. The oil itself is cheaper as you said per gallon but you will run through it much,much faster. The 100:1 setting oil will last you forever so I have read. I would just for your own peace of mind do a little research on this because you could,be saving yourself a ton of money on oil in the long run. Running at the 100:1 setting has so many advantages,the engine uses much less oil,runs way cleaner,no carbon buildup, smoother running,protects the engine better,etc.. You can always do it a bit later if you want but your overall savings of money for oil will be astronomical at 100:1 vs 50:1. Just wanted to throw that out to ya. Glad you like it,can't go wrong with a 10yr warranty, that is awesome. Good luck with it.

Latest posts