Hello Everyone

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akg414

Reaction score
Hey guys,

New member here. Just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I'm about to buy my first Jon boat and wanted to join a forum to learn and get ideas for upgrades. Also, avid fisherman and am teaching the art to my son.

Hope to learn a lot here ;)

Thanks guys. Yeah, not only mods, but general info too. I'm new to boating so I'm looking forward to digging in. I'm going to look at a boat tonight and am pretty sure I'll be buying it. It's VERY nice - looks almost new and the price is right. So once I get it, I'll post some pictures to share with everyone.

When you get a chance, give us some pics of the new ride. Have fun and learn at the same time on this website. Welcome!

Ok, here is the new (and first ever) ship.

1993 Sea Nymph with a 15hp Evinrude and trailer. Came with lights, live well, oar, boat hook, trolling motor, 5 life vests and some mics cushions. Boat is in super-well-cared-for conditon and the motor is mint. The inside,was cleaner than the outside! It was babied for sure.

Price was $1,800 for everything.

I have just one small issue that needs to be addressed. I want to cut the trailer tongue and get the next size smaller square-tube and make a,new tongue that can be moved into position, locked with pins and then removed to fit in my garage. Anyone ever do this?

image_zps3940867c.jpg

image_zps8c6b78a1.jpg

image_zps703743d1.jpg

Awesome boat! I'm cannot help you with your tongue issue although it is plauseable. The main thing is you will ruin any protection the galvanizing provides as you will be cutting and boring. They do make a cold galvanizing spray which I used when I was fabricating security gates and it worked reasonably well but not a good as a hot dip. Rust will reform along those cuts over time, but one can remove the rust and reapply, ect.

As long as the tubing of the trailer is sufficiently hollow enough to allow a smaller sized tube to fit into it then you will have few problems depending if you have enough space to slide what length you require to be able to fit into your garage. A lynch pin through alignment holes would secure it.

Another option would be to shorten the tongue but this will effect your handling of the load while towing behind your tow vehicle. How much I couldn't say.

Nice find,barely looks used.
You can do what you suggested with the trailer tongue but as stated the weld area will rust in time.
There are also swing away trailer tongues,that might work for what you are describing.

If you don't get to many comments on it here,post a question in the trailer section and you will get more suggestions.

We installed a breakaway from PacificTrailers.com on a friends trailer. all we did was cut the tongue halfway between the jack stand and hitch, paint cuts to prevent rust, and install the hinge brackets on the 2 pieces. He's got a big glass boat so it would be strong enough for yours.

Welcome to the forum and Congrats on the new toy, that's a great looking boat!

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I just got a Garmin Echo 550c that I'm gonna get installed in the next couple days. Ive also got some rope for dock lines and a couple bumpers. I'll be taking it out this Saturday on Beltzville lake here in PA. The boat came with a base and transducer for a Humkingbird
Wide Eye. I guess I'll ebay it.

I'm also going to be getting another seat for it. The owner had a board spanning across the the side benches.