New Boat - Moving to the Dark Side

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaqueRatt

Reaction score
Hey guys, I really have learned a lot of stuff in the short time been hanging out here. Have a confession to make. I moved to the dark side with my new GLASS boat. I know. It just fell into my lap and I had to have it.

It's old, has a few rough edges and I have a lot of questions. Just wondering if this site is the proper place to discuss what may turn into a full restoration or if I should take the discussion elsewhere? I'd particularly like to get Pappy's take on the motor, but I don't want to P you guys off.....LOL

If there's interest in this old gem I'll start a thread. What forum would be most appropriate?

Don't worry I won't feel bad it you tell me to take my glasser and well, you know......LOL Don't worry I still have a tinny so I won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks again for all the help and support.

Attachments

• Crestliner 03.jpg
    Crestliner 03.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 2
It’s been a long time since I’ve been in a tri-hull. Very stable and easy planing for a fiberglass hull.

I vote yes to a thread.

OK, sounds like I won't get keel-hauled for it, so I'll be starting a thread for the new boat soon. It'll likely be a looooong one. Remember you asked for it. :)

That boat was a decent boat, so it should be OK
I skied behind one....50 years ago....

It's really growing on me. Doesn't seem like it would take a lot to restore it to it's original glory. Depends on how it behaves out on the water. When Crestliner came out with this hull design called the "Stabilized V Wing" in 1968, they really bragged about how it performs. Very curious to see if it's as good as they say it is.

I would expect it to be very stable with the trade-off for that hull shape to be pounding in any chop. Looking forward to seeing how it actually performs for you. Looking forward to seeing the restoration steps.

Last edited:
I've heard that tri-hulls do beat you in the chop, but not sure if mine is a traditional tri-hull or not. One of the things Crestliner brags on is how stable it is in choppy conditions. Guess I'll find out....eventually. Looks like the nice boating weather is about over here, but I do expect to get her in the water next week. On a calm day hopefully.

Parents had a Tri hull. As said, Very stable at rest, beats you up a bit in chop.
You have a nice canvas to work with. Lots of room. Deeper than a Jon, yielding more storage. About as much room as a deck boat.
A couple years ago I redid a fiberglass bass boat. Lots of info online/YouTube, if you need to do any glass work.

Is mine a true tri-hull though? Are they all the same, behave the same? Seems Crestliner was careful to stress it was something different. All hype?

Also find it curious that I read a lot of people saying they suck in the chop, but some say the Crestliner is very stable in rough water. Can't be both ways!

Not being a smart azz, take it out, put it through the paces. Let us know. That will be the best way to find out. If it’s not rough out, turn a few tight circles, then go through the waves. This is also an extremely fun thing to do for pulling a tube!!! :)
The good news for waves/chop is, it’s a heavy glass boat. Have that same hull design in a tin boat, it’s game over. You’ll be at the chiropractor on your way home!

What I said before are my memories of that boat.
I see a lot of potential for your boat. Lots of storage, lots of floor space. Spider rig (sit side by side?), long line, casting, coolers front and back, longer than normal rod storage. Well crap, now you have me dreaming!
Pros and cons to everything. I love my v-bottom for rough water. Hate it when I’m fishing.

The one my parents had was a Larson. Faded blue top cap, with a 115hp “tower of power”. With that said, glass boats are like travel trailers, a lot of “brands”, only a few actual manufacturers. Especially for fiberglass boats. Why? Making a mold is quite expensive. You then have to store it. If you look at fiberglass hull designs, (especially boats of that era) you’ll start seeing a lot of similarities between the different “brands”. Those molds were leased, sold, and rebought. It’s rumored, some are trying to be brought back to life. Champion had an excellent one.

The skeeter I redid was the same hull as several other brands. The differences showed in the top caps/layouts.