Help please! 1962 Evinrude 5.5 Fisherman - UPDATE 4-28

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sader762,
Put on the new head gasket and if you had 47 lbs. with a blown head gasket leaking into the other cylinder, it is going to jump and you will have 100 lbs. or more. I believe it will be ready to go. I have seen it before where you can spin the flywheel with one finger and knew it had no compression and go over 100 lbs when a new head gasket was installed. Just check your mating surfaces to make sure they are flat with a good straight edge. If you have to on the head you could use some wet sandpaper and a piece of glass to polish it flat. I believe it is fixing to run...just make sure your water pump is pumping plenty of water...Flintcreek :)

Thanks Flintcreek. I got my repair manual in and have been going thru that. It's now obvious that my compression was way too low. My parts get here on Friday, but it's Mother's day weekend so I wil hopefully have this thing ready to go by Monday. I'll post an update and let everyone know how things go.

BTW - to everyone reading this thread - get a official repair manual, good info in it.

Latest posts