Here I Go: 70's 18x48 Ouachita Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WebMonkey54 said:
Thanks! License plate was CODEMNKY until divorce caused a personal reboot last year. System seems to be running just fine now.

Knowing that makes it even better!

Hey Guys,

I got my transom built. I needed about 4 to 5 inches in additional height, so I got three 2x2 Oak timbers and pressure glued them together (added up to 4.75 inches). After trimming the edges, I stained it twice with the oil based stain I used on my deck and fence - it works so much better than Thompsons Water Seal.

To mount the transom addition I drove four 8 inch lag screws down through the wood and into the original transom. I had so much torque on those bolts that the boat moved off the bunks and one of my socket wrench adapters split! Once that was tight I sealed up the holes on top with wood putty and liquid plastic. I then took one of the pieces of Aluminum that I cut out for seat storage and shaped that to fit over the transom. I used four 1 foot pieces of Aluminum strip from Lowes and 12 carriage bolts to tie everything together. I put a coat of primer for Galvanized metal on - I will be painting later. Hopefully I measured correctly and the engine bolts will line up nicely between the carriage bolts. See pics below

IMAGE_079.jpg

IMAGE_084.jpg

Does it flex with the motor hanging on it? You should do a search for jack plates. Some have been built as motor risers only. I got my mini jacker on ebay for $42.

Hey guys - here is a picture of the boat at 95% complete. I just have to wire up the front lights, bilge pump, and finish a few hatches for storage. The boat handled great with 6 people! The only problem is a slow leak - I think it is the seal around the drain plug. There is no flex on my custom transom. :) I added a huge cooler with a cushion in the middle (I will camo that later).

CIMG1214.jpg

I forgot to post some pictures of the aluminum frame and floor. Pop riveting was actually a lot easier and faster than I first thought. After the framing was done I cut out some untreated 5/8 plywood and put on a couple coats of oil based primer and paint. I added some Quickcrete anti slip to a gallon of paint - it turned out great. The wood's first exposure to moisture has been salt water at Hatteras this week - It will be interesting to see how long it will last.

IMAGE_087.jpg

IMAGE_089.jpg

Hey guys,

I wanted to show an update after 2 years of use. Overall the boat has been great, but I learned that you should not take a flat bottom boat out in the Pamlico Sound with 2 foot swells. [-X I now have a great little bilge pump installed.

My growing problem has been the transom. I built it up to fit my new motor, but most the stress on the transom was taking place about 3 inches above where the transom was braced. As I trailered the boat all over NC, big cracks started developing. I found a local welder that helped me seal the cracks, and reinforce the transom. Pictures below of the reinforced transom, as well as some brag photos with my boys duck hunting and me hitting the Spring Striper run!

AbbottsCreek-20111202-00038.jpg

Winston-20111202-00039.jpg

Duck Hunting with 2 of my 3 boys
CIMG1850.jpg

Striper Fishing on the Roanoke River last April
CIMG1856.jpg

The finished boat in all it's glory!
WP_000107.jpg

I like your boat very much.I now have one very simalure to yours but mine is a 1648.I removed my middle seat but plan on adding to the front deck like what you did.Did you end up useing carpet in your boat anywhere or just painted surfaces?You stated useing some sortof non slip added to the paint.,how is that working out for you?

hotshotinn said:
I like your boat very much.I now have one very simalure to yours but mine is a 1648.I removed my middle seat but plan on adding to the front deck like what you did.Did you end up useing carpet in your boat anywhere or just painted surfaces?You stated useing some sortof non slip added to the paint.,how is that working out for you?

I used 3/4 inch plywood and mixed some non-slip additive (you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot in paint area) to a combination of oil based deck paint and some green oil based house paint. I then painted both sides of the plywood after I cut it fit the ribs of the boat and the aluminum deck frame. It has held up pretty well - I just hose it off if it get too muddy.

thats a good idea to hose it off.I do that with my 1448 to clean itup,no carpet in my 1448.I has carpet in my fiberglass bass boat but that baot i use on lakes and the tin is for river hunting and fishing where mud is,i would hate to clean carpet with mud onit

Defineately a nice boat ! Too bad I missed out on it's sale on my local craigsist :( The ad was gone by the time I was ready to seriously look for a Jon.

Latest posts