HOME DEPOT.... Grrr!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Captain Ahab said:
Try a local hardware store next time! My family owns a small hardware business in NJ and we would have switched out that wire no problem. Oh course we would have remembered you, probably know your name and oh yeah, we charge less then Home Cheapo for almost everything.

X2 - my eyes were opened when the locally owned, hole-in-the-wall Ace Hardware store had more of a selection than Menards & Home Depot COMBINED for garage handles - go figure. Now I always give them first shot at a product. If they have it in stock, it is bought. By now, the prices about equal the big box stores. Some items are cheaper, some are more expensive. But my local store knows me now. I can get personalized help and have been offered good discounts on stock that hasn't moved in a while. Their service really sets them apart - and they are WILLING to order anything I need.

And no lines!

:D (did I mention they hire the cutest/nicest cashiers in town?)

hardwatergrampa said:
arnt they owned by wal mart there tied togather some how

True Value stores are individually owed - you license the right to use the True Value name and purchase products through a collective - This is not a franchise - just a co-op type arraignment

We used to be a True Value but a few years ago we left the co-op since we found a better supply company

X2 on the Ace and local hardware stores. I don't mind Lowes (over Home Depot), but no one helps you or has any knowledge on anything in the store.

When I don't see an item on the shelf, I start looking at the stock #'s (normally written in large numbers) on the boxes in the top-stock, waaay up on the top shelves. I've had sales people get one of those rolling ladders quite a few times to retrieve something they say they're out of, and they're never happy about it.

bought big ice box from HD .deliver guys hit my house with bobtail truck HD has not done crap yet 4 mos ago [-X

I like to shop the locally owned stores whenever possible. My only problem with that is that it is hardly ever possible.

I work in another town (actually another state) and am gone from 7 am to 6 pm every day through the week. The metropolis that I live in rolls up the carpet at 5 pm as far as anything locally owned is concerned. On Saturdays, they are either not open or are only open from 9 to 12. If I can't get it from Lowes or Wal Mart, I'm out of luck unless I take the time off to go get it or it can wait until Saturday morning.

It makes it a real pia to come home to a situation like a water leak, not be able to get the parts to fix it and have to take a half day off from work for a 30 minute job. (not to mention having two women in the house that sort of like to have running water while at home)

My local mom and pop stores would probably do a better business if they would shift their hours to stay open a couple of hours later but they seem to be satisfied with the status quo. The town that I live in has a large commuter population. I guess it helps out the local repair man business since it is almost impossible for that population to fix anything themselves in a timely manner.

Latest posts