hope it gets in their blood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200racing

Reaction score
got to take my friend and his 9yr old on their first turkey hunt this afternoon.

his son had been watching turkey hunting on t.v. and bugging him to take him,but he had never gone after anything but deer.

the best thing i could come up with was my pop-up blind setup and a crossroads in the woods about 50yds from the only field close by. i have also heard turkey roost about 100yds from there many time during deer season. i put my hen decoy(all i have right now) in the center of the intersection in hopes that any bird moving in the area would see it come in to check it out. i set the blind to the south of the decoy in the shade to maximize its darkness best i could. i put in the blind as its not that big and i set 15tf beside them in a little cover wearing my leaf suite and called for them.

heard a few and called a hen in right behind their blind but they couldn't see it with the way the windows are set.
we did that for 2hrs i could see the kid start to figget a little and i had long since lost feeling from the the waist down :LOL2: so, we swapped and walked the roads listening,showing and teaching him tracks,playing in a creek,looking for arrow heads,watched bats feed and had a lot of fun.

i really enjoyed having someone to hunt with 3 years of solo turkey hunting was getting a little old. it was also nice to have someone eager to learn and appreciative of the stuff ive learned all these years wasting time in the woods. the 9yr old acted the best of any kid i've taken outdoors never whined and really wants to go some more.

i hope i can at least get them a close encounter before seasons out. trouble is i will be lucky to take them out 2 more times. they have committed every minute to a sport or activity so any hunt means missing something.