how did you name your boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, it's named "Leg Breaker" and I put stick-on letters on the transom where my cousin (half owner in the boat) was climbing out and slipped and fell. She landed very awkwardly on her left leg breaking it completely in half just above the ankle. I mean, both bones shattered and her leg was turned at a 70 degree angle. Of course this happened at a southern Illinois lake (Shelbyville) and it took about 45 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. Then, the hospital down there couldn't do anything but wrap it up and send us back home to Chicago (suburbs). She had to go to walk-in care the next day (after the 5 hour drive home) and then wait 5 more days before surgery (waiting for swelling to go down). That was last September and now she is scheduling surgery again to remove some of the several plates they put in which are causing pain and problems. So... it was quite an ordeal and painful experience for her and now it begins over with more surgery..... I can post a picture of her bent leg tomorrow (don't have it here at home).

So.......... "Leg Breaker" is the name of our 16.5' Spectrum Deep V.......

I have to do my best to get all the names off my boats.
The Lund came with MISS SHARON
The Yazoo has Da Worm
The Sea King had APACHE ROSE (a can of grey spray paint covered that up as mom didn't want to be seen on vacation with a stupidly named ugly boat - the ugly boat part was bad enough)

My boats are unofficially named, this one, that one, the yellow one, the only one that works (dad doesn't like to hear that one, seeing as I own the only one that works, and soon to be the only two that work) etc. Whatever comes to mind when I am trying to speak about one in particular.

When I owned the Tracker PT175, I was gonna name it "Runnin' On MT" (after the Jackson Browne song Running On Empty), and the 50hp Merc on it literally sipped fuel. May do it to the Lowe jon, seeing's as how it's electric-only, thereby beating the gas prices. :)

bassboy1 said:
My boats are unofficially named, this one, that one, the yellow one, the only one that works (dad doesn't like to hear that one, seeing as I own the only one that works, and soon to be the only two that work) etc. Whatever comes to mind when I am trying to speak about one in particular.

Yep, Mine is named "The flatbottom" at the moment because it's the only jon boat we have. :lol:

WaterWings I like that name for the Electric only. Very clever 8)

seif5034 said:
bassboy1 said:

Yep, Mine is named "The flatbottom" at the moment because it's the only jon boat we have. :lol:

WaterWings I like that name for the Electric only. Very clever 8)

Thanks :) , If I ever get around to it, I may have to get a nice set of letters/decal made up to put on the stern of the boat.

I named my boat sweet water because when I was buying my boat my father and mother in-law would always ask me if I can take my boat on the Sea and I would tell them that it was a boat design for freshwater lakes and rivers. So they are greek and when they would talk to me about the boat they would say how is the Freshwater boat doing, but the translation from Greek to English is sweet water.. So I found that to be funny and I named my boat Sweet Water.

I can't officially name mine as the movie title is still copyrighted. :shock: Y'all know the Tom Hanks, Shelley Long movie I'm talking about. :lol: :lol:

"Mean Machine" Maurice

First day with me and the boat in the driveway at home, it was christened with the name. The choice was to either name it "Garmin", or "Maurice".

Went with Maurice. Sounded cooler.

None of my buddies could believe I bought a piece of junk on ebay for $600. They didn't think it would float nor the engine would work.
It was fixed, re-made into something like brand new, I blew them away, and that's where you get the "Mean Machine" from. Don't underestimate it. :)

I got my 18ft. jon from a good friend who also has a pontoon boat.The jon is painted white and we always called it Big White so everyone would know which one we were talking about,and the name stuck.

No tinboat here to name, but in his days of boating my dad wouldn't name a boat without getting it blessed (old sailors superstition i guess) and ill probably carry on the same superstitious tradition.

Good point BA! Your post made me think about sea-going superstitions, and here's an excerpt I found on-line:

"Fish Factor
Maritime superstitions, Fast Catamaran, and Workers wanted
By Laine Welch

April 14, 2007
Saturday

Since 1991 this weekly column has been written on Friday and this week it happened to occur on April 13th. Friday the 13th -- what better time to search out sea going superstitions!
For centuries, seafarers who face a life of danger and uncertainty have observed a strict set of rules steeped in myth and superstition. Many beliefs are based on the Bible, for example, the well known notion that Friday is the worst day to set out to sea.
Most sources credit that to the belief that Christ was crucified on a Friday. Therefore, this day must be observed and respected and will be unlucky for anyone who attempts to go about business as usual. Similarly, Sunday is the best day to begin a voyage, because Christ's resurrection on that day is regarded as a good omen. Thus the old adage, 'Sunday sail, never fail.'
A traditional view for centuries was that women had no place at sea. They weren't considered strong enough, emotionally or physically, and the men would be distracted from their duties, angering the seas and dooming a ship. Interestingly, lore has it that a naked woman onboard would calm the seas. That's why many vessels have a bare breasted figurehead of a woman on the bow. Superstition amongst sailors said that the figurehead should have eyes to find a way through the seas when lost, while her bare breast would shame a stormy sea into calm. Pliny, the ancient Roman scientist and historian, first recorded this belief over 2000 years ago.
Since the 1700s, bananas have been regarded as bad luck by mariners. One explanation is that bananas carried aboard slave ships fermented and gave off poisonous methane gas. Another is that crewmen would die from lethal spiders hiding in the bunches of bananas.

Here's a sampler of more maritime superstitions:
Pouring wine on the deck is a 'libation to the gods' that will bring good luck on a long voyage. [as in blessing the vessel (my insert)]

Dolphins swimming with a ship are a good omen, while sharks following is a sign of inevitable death. Black cats are considered lucky on board a boat. Not so for flowers, which could be used for a funeral wreath.

It's unlucky to kill an albatross or a gull at sea, as they host the souls of dead sailors.

Whistling on the bridge will whistle up a storm.

Cutting your hair or nails at sea is a no no. Likewise, don't ever step onto a boat with your left foot, or stir a pot or coil a line counter clockwise.

Finally, marine myth has it that sailors pierced their ears to improve their eyesight. A gold earring was both a charm against drowning and the price paid to Davy Jones to enter the next world if a sailor died at sea.
As for Friday the 13th - modern stories claim that legend began when King Philip of France has many Christian knights arrested on October 13, 1307. Other resources say that although the number 13 was considered historically unlucky, the association of Friday and 13 seems to be an invention from the early 1900s.
A Friday occurring on the 13th of any month is considered to be a day of bad luck in English, German and Portuguese speaking cultures around the world. The fear of Friday the 13th is called paraskavedekatriaphobia, derived from the Greek words Friday, thirteen and phobia.
July is the only other month in 2007 in which a Friday falls on the 13th..."

Excerpt from: https://www.sitnews.us/LaineWelch/041407_fish_factor.html

My students think I'm crazy (well not all the time) because I tell them to quit whistling in the building. Of course they have to ask why. Of course I tell them that they might "whistle up" a storm or sea serpent, lol.

Looking at one of the entries in the excerpt, do any of you guys carry bananas on your boats!? :shock:

No banabas on my boat...

The other site I go to had a pretty long thread going about bad days fishing until the banabas were removed from the boat. Good thing I don't really care for them much.

:shock:

namethatboat.jpg

Waterwings said:
Whistling on the bridge will whistle up a storm.

Whistling was forbidden on most sailing vessels becuase it is also thought to call the spirits of the dead. However, a cook was allowed to whistle (and encouraged to) becuase this meant that he was not likely chewing tobacco and spitting - in the soup!

Anyway - no bananas, no whistling aboard my boat!