How do you know you have a bite with rod holders?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In SC we'd use rod holders quite a bit. We'd hook up a live herring (through its nostrils) on a 3' leader coming off of a weight. The rods stay in the holders and we'd troll as slow as possible. The idea is to have the bait stay at the right depth and behave as naturally as possible (no dips and rises). We'd catch a lot of largemouth but mostly stripers or hybrids. Would also troll a free line herring (no weight). The hookups are violent so there's no mistaking it. But you need to set the hook immediately so you have to be alert. And generally, the herring will twitch the line like crazy just before a fish eats it. Great fun.

OK, at the risk of hijacking the thread - On Lake Ontario we are allowed to troll two lined per person. I troll for slamon and trout using long (10 1/2 and 9 1/2 foot) trolling rods with Dipsy Divers, flashers and various triling lures. I use 50 lb briad on large line-counter trolling reels. I put the rods in two rocket-launcher rod holders I have installed in my middle bench seat. As I said above, I engage the clicker on the reels and loosen off the drag while trolling.

Another rig I really like is trolling a worm harness for Walleye. When I am fishing for Walleye I am on smaller lakes that don't allow multiple lines, so I usually hold the rod in my hand. A worm harness is killer and I have caught multiple species on that rig.

Latest posts