How does this happen!?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tholdah

Reaction score
See the picture...This is a 70HP Nissan we bought last summer. It ran like new for awhile, then it started to "slip" (like a clutch slipping in a car), and it would stop pumping water at anything faster than a jog. We put the boat away for the winter, and when I just went out to look at it for a second I noticed this! What would cause this?

Attachments

• 0131001511a.jpg
    0131001511a.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,496
is there any oil on the ground at that spot?
did you change the lower unit oil in the fall?
you may have had water in the lower unit and it froze and cracked the housing

redbug said:
is there any oil on the ground at that spot?
did you change the lower unit oil in the fall?
you may have had water in the lower unit and it froze and cracked the housing

We did not change the lower unit, and I don't see oil on the ground or on the unit.

tholdah said:
See the picture...This is a 70HP Nissan we bought last summer. It ran like new for awhile, then it started to "slip" (like a clutch slipping in a car), and it would stop pumping water at anything faster than a jog. We put the boat away for the winter, and when I just went out to look at it for a second I noticed this! What would cause this?

So we finally got some bearable outdoor weather, so I went out to take a closer look. Like I said, it was perfect for awhile, then suddenly last year it started to "slip" under higher loads, and stop pumping water at high speeds. My father thought maybe he installed the new prop incorrectly? HE WAS RIGHT!!! the order from outside in is supposed to be cotter key - nut - washer - plastic washer - prop - thrust washer...we had the plastic washer on the inside between the prop and the thrust washer. Could that cause problems like this?

Looks like Water to me also but you might have got off easy by just replacing the rear carrier.Buying the whole lower unit housing would be expensive I would check it for cracks though.

Latest posts