How long Can you keep fish frozen Before eating!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunk50

Reaction score
OK, be honest! I catch a lot of gills and other pan fish. I clean them, vacuum seal them and freeze them. What is the longest you have kept frozen and had them still good for eatin. I have almost a year!

I put mine in freezer bags and totally cover with water. Just this week I had some gills and cats that had been in the freezer 14 months. Cooked up and tasted fine. Now don't get me wrong, I prefer fresh catch and eat but I have edible fish year round by freezing.

I have cooked some that were frozen in water for 3 years.

If they aren't freezer burned, no problem.

I almost never freeze meat or fish. But if I do, I use a vacume sealer and only keep the food frozen for a week or less. I do keep a 2 lb bag of frozen shrimp in the freezer for a month or more. But those are flash frozen using a glazing method to cover them individually in ice. And besides, they're convenient as he## for throwing together a quick, inexpensive and tasty meal.

I found these guidelines here.....

"How long can you freeze your fish? Never longer than 6 months. After that, you will notice a serious decline in quality. Fatty fish, such as salmon or trout, go down hill even faster: Don't freeze them longer than 3 months.

And some fish should never be frozen. These are the fattiest ones, the bluefish, herring, mackerel and sardines. You can glaze them, but they still decline in quality a lot. If you find youself with a surfeit of bluefish -- this happens a lot -- vacuum-seal them and know that you will be making fish cakes with them down the road; that's all they'll be good for.

When you thaw your frozen fish, do it gradually. Never put them in the microwave to thaw!! Let them thaw in the fridge or in cold water. Thawing at room temperature is also a bad idea."

I'm still eating bass that I caught back home 4 years ago. When I cleaned them, I put them in ziplock bags filled with water and a little salt.. just as tasty as the day I caught them. I do set them out in the sink in the morning when I leave for work, then Tiffany puts them in the fridge around lunch time...

I've never eating frozen fish over a month but I would,especially if it was vacume sealed.
Kill a steer ever year,I don't vacume seal it,just paper and bags...it lasts a hole year plus acouple months.
That vacume seal seems nice.

Latest posts