How many HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmhyland

Reaction score
I picked up a 14ft Mirrocraft last summer. I'm going to purchase a new outboard for it. Years ago I had the same boat and had a 15hp 4 stroke Yamaha on it and it moved along really well... I think I'll be going back to 15 on this and would go with 20 but I have concerns it would troll too fast.

Also is 9.9 enough.... I am rarely on water where I can plane the boat...

Attachments

• Mirrocraft4.JPG
    Mirrocraft4.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 376
I had a 14ft Alumacraft that was pretty similar. Had a 9.8 when I got it. It scooted pretty well when empty, would plane easily and do 17mph. Once I got it loaded down with additions, it would still plane but speed dropped to 12 or so.

I once had it loaded to the gills with two other guys and all my gear. It wouldn't plane but still moved around okay.

I later put on a 25 (max rating). It was a rocket ship then, would do just shy of 30 and I'm sure there was more on the table if I played with different props.

A 20 would probably be preferable, but I think a 15 would do just fine as well.

Max hp for the boat... use the electric for trolling

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

I'm with the above, max hp for the motor. For trolling highly recommend a GPS enabled trolling motor. Nothing has improved my trout and salmon trolling success more than my Minn Kota Ulterra. Autopilot!! You can actually catch fish instead of drive. Mind blowing.

Thanks all,

Now the next question... In most 4 stroke outboards the move for 20hp to 25HP crosses the 2 cyl to 3 cyl bridge and seems to add 40 or 50 lbs.

Is 5HP worth the weight.... An extra 50 in the back of the boat with my 275 lbs will be noticeable...

I'm looking at Suzuki 15 and 20 HP electric start and power trim... about 123 Lbs... the 25 HP in the same config is 163 Lbs.

Thanks,
Chris

Thanks Crappie,

The power trim is 15lbs... not too worried about that... The 9.9, 15, and 20 are the same engine with ECM mods... all 327 cc all 5K to 6K RPM range... So it's all about the Electronic Control Module... It think based on that the 20Hp is the best buy for the money.

Thanks,
Chris

We think alike on that. Tohatsu is the same deal. Do you have a dealer close for either in case some maintenance or warranty issue would come up?

I think at that power factor the 25hp Yamaha F25 is what you're after. It's a 2cylinder 4stroke 25hp, biggest of their small form factor motors.

If you're used to a 15hp 4 stroke you won't be missing the torque of a 2 stroke, so you should have no issues with it.

Hey did you end up with a 15 HP ?
I have a similar setup but I have the deep haul sports model ... two floatations on the side behind the “captains bench.”

I just bought the 15 Hp Suzuki electric and I’m excited to get out. 15 hp can troll fine especially if you can use the current- I Fish Lake Erie though so probably different where you are.