how rough of water in a 18ft mod v?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMG08

Reaction score
What kind of chop do you think a 18 ft mod v like a g3 or lowe could handle? I dont plan on going out into the bigger water if its windy, but sometimes the weather man is wrong. Any personal experiences that might be insightful?

I've gone in 3 and 4 foot rollers with my 1860 sea ark. I wouldn't advise it unless you're experienced. Is definitely butt puckering, but it can be done. The only limitation is you.

I have a G3 1860 and the Searks are stiffer, thicker hulled ( better built IMO ), but a semiV jonboat is not made for rough water, even w the larger 20+ ones your gonna get wet and tossed around in big water/wind/waves. You must slow down alot and it's no fun at all while your in it poking along to get to sheltered water or back to the ramp. Even small chop 1-2' will beat my boat and shake/pound everything in the boat unless I slow to a crawl/semi off plane w the bow in the air. A true V hull would do much better IMO.

You're definitely gonna get wet in a mod v. It just happens. Its definitely not fun when its the dead of winter and you've gotta cross a lake at 4 in the morning either.

Definitely not something I plan on doing often. 90% of the time I will be in calm waters. Its the 10% where I need to
get back in the chop that just picked up. If the boat can handle it, i'm confident I can.

The only limiting factor in this is you. What you're comfortable with and how wet you feel like getting determine how rough of water you can go into. You will get drenched in a mod v.

I've gone out in 3 footers in a 1648 alumna craft Sierra mv. Much thinner hulls. You need skills for that, and all I can say is I would invest in a good float switch bilge, mostly for the splash up.

Ran some 3-4ft swells and whitecaps in 40mph winds with my Lowe 1448 mod-V 15HP and got real wet. Only time I have ever donned a life vest in open water. Must have worked out as I'm here to talk about it. Had to gauge each swell and make a run at it. Fun fun!

thegr8cody said:
And bring a change of underwear...

:LOL2: some quality raingear would be nice too, waterproof Bibs or pants and a hooded, long raincoat w a well sealing neck opening and gloves if it's cold, and stow your gear very securely or it may be damaged or tossed overboard w the unpredictable pounding/tossing.

1 and 2 foot chop... go wide open and skip across the top.
It's going to pound abit,has to with not much deadrise.
Any swells,3-4 footers(hopefully no bigger),take your time....don't want to drive the bow into one.
Should be fine though,ride the humps.

Zum said:
1 and 2 foot chop... go wide open and skip across the top.
It's going to pound abit,has to with not much deadrise.
Any swells,3-4 footers(hopefully no bigger),take your time....don't want to drive the bow into one.
Should be fine though,ride the humps.

I've tried that ( fast over chop) and my back can't take it sitting down, I have a compressed disc that may have been caused by riding in a buddies Basstrackers years ago that he abused until the hulls split twice. He got his hull replaced under warranty 2 times in 1.5 years, third time they balked and said he was at fault for operating the boats recklessly and abusive, and they were right IMO. Flying through the chop also beats the crap out of my boat and I'm a afraid it might be damaged though it's tougher than the old BTers were. It does ride better running w the wind than against it and I can sometimes run fast and somewhat smoothly. I can see some hogging between some of my transverse ribs from th prevous owner pounding the boat to hard on the chop and try to take better care of it now. I will buy a CC if I get another big semiV jon to let my knees absorb some of the pounding on windy days, and might try to add a CC to my boat one day.

Been on a 50' tug boat in 25' swells in the Bering Sea. One heck of a ride. Main thing is boat control. Keep her pointed into the waves and learn how to power through the waves.

Latest posts