? How To: ? Applying JB Weld on a rivet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Bassblaster that sounds very reasonable. That was my problem with the whole thing, I have no air compressor :shock: So by the time I get all of that equipment i'm looking at $200 in stuff. I gues I'm just a JB Weld fan and I beleive it's just that, a weld, which seems to hold very well and I've had zero problems with leaky rivets that have been fixed with it. Plenty of ways to skin a cat!

I agree theres many ways to do things and I'm also a fan of JB Weld. I just dont think its the best fix for rivots when rivots are so simple to repair or replace.

I used to race round track, just entry level compact classes. I had a guy get turned in front of me going into 1 and I drove into him hard. Busted the plastic radiator tank in my car. I went home and scuffed up the cracks in the tank real good and gave all of them a coatng of JB Weld. I raced the rest of the season and never had a problem!! :mrgreen:

For the record, there is JB Weld on my boat, just not on the rivots. When I was completely finished with everything and all prepped to Steelflex, I discovered a very small pinhole that I hadnt noticed before. I cleaned it up real good and hit it with JB Weld, then scuffed up the JBW and Steelflexed it all. I wasnt going back to the welder for a pinhole and it was right in the corner so drilling it out and putting a rivot there wasnt an option.

BassBlaster, I agree with you on all counts, didn't mean to come off the wrong way. Drilling out and replacing rivets is obviuosly the best way to go, if I had all the equipment it would be a no brainer. But, for a few rivets, the JB Weld is miracle stuff for the weekend warrior. I've also used it on radiators, bought an old Mercury Cougar for $170 and with a little elbow grease it ran for two years!

No worries, I didnt take anything the wrong way. Everyone has thier own way of doing things and I always post what I feel is the best way. Dosnt mean I'm right though, lol.

I really appreciate everyone's input and passion. It really gives perspective on everything.

I was wanting to have the boat in the water this weekend, but I don't know if that's going to be possible.

I could do the whole, 2 hammers thing or the JB Weld at this point. I do not have an air hammer, nor a compressor. I asked my uncle and neighbor (bout the only 2 people that would have one that I know) and well, neither have one. So, for the time factor, I'll try the hammer idea with my brother.

I'll refill the boat, check for leaks, if any (all?) still leak then, I'll patch it with JB Weld.

How can I go about finding any Tin members from Illinois? More specifically central Illinois... Would be nice to find a local buddy that shares the same interests/goals.

BassBlaster, I would like to see your air hammer bit conversions if you have some pics and an explanation of how you did it. Gotta love harbor freight.

All I did was purchase the air hammer that comes with 9 bits from Harbor Freight for $12.99. I took the pointed bit and cut the end off it so it was flat. I then center punched the end of the bit to keep a drill bit from walking and started drilling the end of the bit with a 1/2" drill bit to get the dish shape. I used a rivot for test fitting to get some what close. I then put the air hammer bit in my drill and spun it while using emory cloth and sandpaper to smooth it up. Be careful drilling, you dont want to get too deep. If you cant get the exact countour, its better for the bit to be making contact with the center of the rivot rather than the edges. You can get it very close with the emory cloth though.

Hope that explains it and if you need a pic, I can go out and get one later this eveing or tomorrow.

For the record, someone else posted this before me, this wasnt my idea. It works very well though and takes about 5 or 10 minutes to make!!

Latest posts