Hubbs' 1989 MonArk Legend 170 Mod V Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ChitownBasser said:
Carpet looks great. Good job. If you don't mind me asking, how much did it run you? How many square feet? I am looking to get carpet for my boat this weekend. I have looked at Bass Pros and Cabelas. Might be cheaper to go with the Home Depots or Lowes option.

I bought it from the Lowes here in town. Its a Berber loop carpet with rubberized marine backing. They had several different colors to choose from. Black, maroon, grey, sand, and a darker brown. I chose sand to match my application and wasn't too dark to absorb heat in direct sunlight.

If I remember correctly it was $3.97 a linear foot. The carpet comes 8' wide and I bought 22'. The carpet cost about $90. Throw in another $20 for contact cement and $15 for marine grade staples.

morecoffee said:
Looks great, in and out.

fool4fish1226 said:
=D> Amazing job - That camo paint jod turned out great

Thanks guys, I couldn't have done it without the information found on these forums.

Lots of ideas and inspiration for my project came from fellow contributors.

I removed the livewells (on this boat there are 2) and wrapped all sides and bottom with rigid foam insulation. I used an adhesive to attach the foam board to the outside to the aluminum livewell. My goal was to create built in coolers that also doubled as livewells. I installed spray heads that can be dialed on or off independent of each other. So, for example, I can use the front livewell/cooler to keep fish and the rear livewell/cooler (which right now keeps some tools) to keep drinks and a sandwich cold. This way I can keep floor space clear without a big bulky cooler getting in the way.

Front livewell
IMAG28371.jpg

Rear livewell
IMAG28401.jpg

Man that camo job is sweet. I have always been to scared to camo anything myself...I may have to try it now. Not on my boat though I think I'd be scared too...lol

JasonLester said:
Man that camo job is sweet. I have always been to scared to camo anything myself...I may have to try it now. Not on my boat though I think I'd be scared too...lol

You know, it wasn't to hard.

I was a little hesitant at first but then I saw where others had tried and it turn out good for them. I had nothing to lose so I went for it.

And of course, its really hard to mess up camo. lol :lol:

I'm constantly getting good comments at the ramp and on the water.

I think I will try it on something else first. I have a V bottom. I dobt it would look that great camo'd. I'll have to think about that one. ....
My plan was to just paint a black stripe and some red accents....kinda like this..but I got alot of work to do before paint....LOL

boattrailermod.jpg

Here's a picture of the under seat storage that I made. I used some angled aluminum riveted together to make the frame and and plywood for the floor and front face. The seats tumble forward giving me access to a space measuring the width of the floor (4') x 1' W x 1'D.

IMAG28411.jpg

Its not dry storage but it allows me to keep all the required safety equipment (flares, throws, vest, etc), some rain gear, paddles and various other items.

Also you may notice the all important cup holders, what boat would be complete without cup holders. :D

The last fabrication was the base for the console. Once I determined the best distance from the seats I built a small frame, wrapped it in matching carpet and secured it to the floor. Then I secured the console to the base and to the side of the boat.

IMAG28441.jpg

I mounted a vertical 3 rod holder/tackle and tool organizer to the front of the console. Gives me a place to keep my rods up off the floor while casting from the front deck. Works great.

So here's the boat and trailer complete

IMAG20081.jpg

Went down to the TPWD office and made it legal
IMAG27551.jpg

Which allows me to do this:
IMAG28011.jpg

this
IMAG24961.jpg

and this
IMAG27981.jpg

Hubbs said:
JasonLester said:
I think I will try it on something else first. I have a V bottom. I dobt it would look that great camo'd. I'll have to think about that one. ....
My plan was to just paint a black stripe and some red accents....kinda like this..but I got alot of work to do before paint....LOL

I think that color scheme looks real good on your boat. Should be simple enough and will make your boat stand out.

At first I didn't plan on camo. I needed new seats and while I was looking I discovered some affordable, comfortable seats in camouflage. That's when the idea to camo the whole boat hit me. Initially I looked into wrapping the entire boat. But that was just to much money. Then I came across the Styx River camo stencil kit. I saw where others had made their own stencils and my local stores carried the Krylon camo paints. I made mine to resemble the Styx River's Mossy Oak Shadow Grass stencils https://styx-river.com/products/?category=1&subcategory=2&id=15&color=1#product. After some trial and error I got it the way I wanted and couldn't be more pleased. Plus if I scratch it, I can fix.

Great job Hubbs'....I am hinging on camo too.....just in a bluewater pattern. Thanks for the guidelines for layering the base on the camo....I have been trying to figure that out for a week now.
=D>

Thats the nice thing about camo for sure ... mostly who cares if it gets scratched but if it is bad enough its easy enough to fix.

I'm trying to stay pretty basic with my boat. I'll really only be using it on 10 hp lakes. I don't know where I could duck hunt so no real need for camo. Although if I had a place I would sure try it.

If I end up with a Jon style, some day, I may do what you did though. Of course I think you just made it look easy. :D

Thanks fellas for all the kind words.

To be honest, building this boat was almost as much fun as using it.

I live only a mile from the lake which means I have the opportunity to fish nearly everyday once the weather gets nice. Having my own boat now gives me some freedom that I didn't have before.

I have the exact same boat that i am restoring. Only problem is I do not have the Maximum Capacities plate. The manufacture is no longer in business so I can not ge one that way. Do you still have this on yours and if so can I get a picture of it so i can get one made?

Latest posts