I am thinking of not painting. Anyone think this is a bad id

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireshadow

Reaction score
I am in the process of sanding the old paint off my aluminium boat and started thinking I like the look of just the aluminium. If I seal the inside I think I shouldn't have any problems. Does anyone think that i'll have any issues if I don't paint the outside of the hull.

I have a 1951 Studebaker 14 foot semi V it's been bare its whole life. I like bare aluminum look. In my opinion its easier to take care of. Don't have to concern yourself with touch ups etc. Be careful not to sand too much epically on thin spots. I might suggest using paint stripper ( Zip strip marine) I used it on my 18 footer I stripped it in one day and it only cost $20.00 and it works well. You might be surprised to find out it looks good under the paint and won't require much sanding to get it to shine.

Captain Ahab is correct...the fish don't care.

Should I coat it with anything to prevent aluminium oxyde or will it be ok with nothing on the outside. I really like the look of the brushed aluminium. Thanks

You will never stop aluminum from oxidizing. Even when painted it will still oxidize. If the bare aluminum is looking a bit cloudy or dull use some Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. I do it every spring (its easy to apply, much like car wax) and mine keeps a shine all summer.

You can't leave it bare in salt water though, can you?

Captain Ahab said:
thad. said:

Sure can

Maybe with a sacrificial zinc anode?
I've heard soooo many stories about aluminum boats corroding in salt water.

I have only used my boats in the salt. My oldest boat is a 12 ft alumacraft 1968. It has always been in the salt and will only ever see the salt. I have not worried about corrosion on the boat at all. Engine yes, boat no. That being said this is in Hood Canal in Washington. The salt content here is much much lower than on the East Coast, Gulf, or Pacific. Hood Canal and Puget Sound are huge estuaries. Good Luck.
Josh

thad. said:
Captain Ahab said:
thad. said:

Sure can

Maybe with a sacrificial zinc anode?
I've heard soooo many stories about aluminum boats corroding in salt water.

I do not recommend letting your boat sit in the salt unless you have the zinc and good anti-foul bottom paint. If you are going to use it then trailer it out - you will be fine

I will say probably 95% of lobster rigs up here are fiberglass...
Theres acouple 45' (aluminum)lobster rigs up here that sit in the Atlantic year around.
Although there are zinc anodes,theres know paint.
The sister boats are around 20+ years old now.
I remember when they launched them,we thought the owners would have troubles but they are still running strong.

I doubt there would be a problem with welded boats but both of mine are riveted. I read that salt water gets trapped in and corrodes out the rivet holes. I guess Steelflex would stop this but paint is cheaper than Steelflex.

Again, this is just online research that I have done not practical experience.

That makes sense not to let them sit in the salt. I always pull mine and lean it up against the cabin. I think the issue that I have run into is more to do with the fact that the boat has been drug up and down oyster beds for 40+ years. It wore a hole in the hull.

Check this stuff out to protect the bare aluminum: https://www.sharkhide.com/mpinfo.html
I used their metal cleaner and it worked wonders. however, without the protectant the metal got stained/discolored very quickly. Going to protect it this summer.

I do not recommend letting your boat sit in the salt unless you have the zinc and good anti-foul bottom paint. If you are going to use it then trailer it out - you will be fine[/quote]
better not use anti-fouling paint on an aluminum hull, it has copper in it and will react terribly with aluminum!

I don't have the option of letting it sit in the salt. I live too far away!
:?

I was just worried about saltwater getting into the rivets or other nooks and crannies and pitting/ corroding the metal.