I got two free outboards!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSimon

Reaction score
I was visiting my grandfather this past weekend, and while poking around in one of his big, messy garages, we stumbled across these two outboards. He bought the Sea Horse years ago at an auction for $5. He got the Evinrude for free when someone left it in a storage locker he owns.

He knows I like boats and what not, so long story short, they are now in my garage .... for FREE.

1950 Johnson Sea Horse 5HP. This will be my winter project. I'd love to clean it up and get it running well.
IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1697.JPG

IMG_1706.JPG

1984 Evinrude 2HP. My grandfather started this up once and it ran fine. I'll clean it up and run it. I'm super excited about this motor because I just finished fixing up a small 12' flat transom aluminum canoe that needs a motor.
IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1698.JPG

IMG_1717.JPG

Your Johnson is a 1950-51 model year with the neutral option. That lever on the port side at the top of the cowling will allow the engine to be run in neutral when engaged. Those engines were excellent runners. Would not do a restore on that engine as the decals and everything appear to be in good shape. Take some WD-40 or something and gently remove the dirt and grime and see what you have underneath. Do you have the lower cowlings for it?
Your Evinrude 2hp is a 1984 model year. Nice and light.

I do have the lower cowling for the Johnson, but I left it in my grandfather's garage ..... 400 miles away. I'm sure he'll ship it to me if I ask.

I sprayed a little WD40 on the top of the cowling last night and wiped it with a paper towel ... it cleaned up pretty nicely. I think I'll take your advice and just clean it really well, replace broken or worn parts, and give it a go.

Latest posts