I gotta do it(JOIN US!!) we've started

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm....first time I've seen this post. Started before I even joined.....and with that in mind, I might qualify for a ghost rider "in" maybe. Decided about 3 months ago that I needed to lose weight. I'm 6'2 and was then hanging right at 220lb. Today...I'm at 209lb. Hasn't been that bad, but I still need to lost another 10lb before I'm where I want to be. The portion issues finally have stopped bothering me and I'm not hungry ALL the time any more. That was really tough at times. Now the hard part, with the season, is cookies. I LOVE cookies. All in moderation and hopefully it will still keep falling. Best of luck to all working on this.

Just saw this thread for the first time. I'm 6' 2" - 245 lbs. I would like to be 210. With 2 young kids at home and a sedentary job (I sit at a desk all day) I have a hard time losing weight. My love of beer and wings doesn't help either!!

I just found this one too! Man, what a great idea! I was just at Dr. last week, and she scolded me about weight. I am about the same as Fender (Chris?) at 6'2", 210 lbs. Almost 62, and for first time in my life, I had to go on high blood pressure meds. I am convinced that we all can control this stuff with exercise. My GA neighbor is 77, works everyday as a teacher like he cannot afford to buy grits (he can - retired Navy commander!), and walks 7 miles EVERY day! The only health problem he has had is prostate cancer, which, I was told, about every man 70 or more will get, though not fatal at that age.

Anyway, I'm in! I have been walking every day, not so much at first, but want to pick it up. I have very bad back/neck issues with severe pain most days, but hey, man we have to do this! As they say around here - let's get 'er done...

Looks like I've got to join the team too. Finally broke down and had a physical the other day, having not had one in remember-able history. Just passed my mid 40's and figure no matter how much I dislike going to the doctor, I dislike the idea of keeling over dead a little bit more.

The blood work won't be back for a week or so, but so far the results are that I'm borderline having high blood pressure and I'm a couch potato. To combat that I need to lose weight, cut a ton of sodium out of my diet and get back on an exercise routine. I'm not a fan of taking drugs so this is the route I had to take. Weight wise I only need to drop 10-15 lbs so isn't that daunting of a task.

One trip through my neighborhood is a 30 minute brisk walk. Started that Monday evening and looking at all the Christmas lights make for a nice walk. January will be a different story.

Count me in..... 5'6" and 245.... :oops:

Did this thread turn into the tinboats biggest loser thread...????????

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6584&hilit=loser

Outdoorsman...

Copied and pasted from my Nov. 2010 post on the biggest loser thread...

"Ok..here I go again....copied and pasted from my Sept 09 post (when I was "Monarkman")...

Aug. 24 = 263
Aug. 31 = 257
Sept. 4 = 254.5 - Thank goodness for yardwork on hot days...
Sept. 11 = 252
Sept. 14 = 250.5
Sept. 18 = 248
Sept. 21 = 252 - **** weekend...
Sept. 23 = 250
Oct. 2 = 247
Oct. 15 = 243

Starting up again with a new (stronger) additude to stick with it...even with Thanksgiving tomorrow.....
Nov. 24 @ 248"

So where are we going to track current progress....here or biggest loser thread..???

Outdoorsman.

OK I just got back from my very FIRST WeightWatchers meeting. Lost nearly 7 lbs in the first week ( I started off fat, remember)..and never really felt a bit hungry. I didn't skip my one or two scotch's at night, either.

Since, under their "new" program, I had a lot of "points" to work on..I never felt deprived. We shall see for the future..but...for now...I am happy.

Oh yea...I attended this meeting today with about 60 large and small women and only three or four guys. At least I wasn't the largest in the room of either sex. It was funny watching most of them shedding sweaters and shoes and God only knows what else when they weighed in.

I was weighed in originally with my shoes on...and I am NOT taking them off to get a better reading.

Ha! Rich

Count me in too. 6'1" and 240. disgusting isn't it that we have let ourselves get to this place. I am very active with big gardens, going to the gym 3 times a week and my bicycle riding. I ride, weather permiting 12-15 miles a day, 3 times a week. We did a 140 mile trip in 3 1/2days last spring. what kills me is I LOVE FOOOOD.
Lets do this thing.

I didn't loose the weight this year like I wanted, but now... We started a Biggest Loser contest at work - put some money on anything and I am competing! Today was our first week's weigh-in - I was the biggest loser at 2.25% of my total weight. 8)

I'm 6'1 and 227 (well, 221 now!), I want to be around 200 come February (the first volleyball tourney of 2011).

My current plan is just watching calories. Found some calorie counter's online and a program (diet & exercise) for my phone. I should only consume about 1500 calories a day to lose 1-2 pounds a week - doing no exercise. I play vball so that could go up.
So by just watching calories of what I eat, I can lose 5+ pounds in one week!

The current plan is this
Breakfast is instant oatmeal - apples and cinnamon - 120 calories
lunch is subway - turkey sub, baked chips, and water - about 350 calories
dinner is a mix, but I try to stay around 400 calories if I cook, if the wife cooks... I eat in moderation and use my snacks later
snacks are grapes (3 calories a piece), strawberries (5 calories), salad (not sure, but very low - special dressing at 35 calories a serving)
Drinks = water only - zero calories
I can eat like a horse and still only get to 1200-1500 calories in a day. And if I'm forced to eat out because of the job, it isn't the end of the world.
Also, I ate my first veggie burger ( use a portabella mushroom cap in place of meat) - with the seasonings I used, it was a VERY tasty meal. I give it at 8.5 out of 10 on the good burger scale :)

Just wanted to throw in something in that the group leader said today....

She said that the "old plan" used calories...as if all calories were the same. The new plan uses calories but (somehow) figures in how much your body burns up just digesting the stuff.

Her comparison was a 100 calorie packet of cookies versus a 100 calorie high fiber granola bar. Apparently, the body uses a lot of BTU's ( or something) digesting and burning up the granola bar. It uses almost NO calories digesting the cookies. So, one thing ....cookies.... get high points........ and the granola bar gets low points. Makes sense to me.

Rich

p.s. I am not CERTAIN that a granola bar was her example..I forgot. RG

Well, I had a wake up call last week - a friend who was only late 50s died suddenly of a heart attack. He had been having chest pains, etc., and doctor said it was ACID REFLUX - NO! It was not! Gave him medicine for acid, etc., and the result was the loss of this man. So, we must make sure our doctors just do not brush us off like this. It is hard to believe that still in 21st century, doctors are saying real heart problems are heart burn. I have learned that about the only way they can tell for sure is to do a camera into the vein/artery of heart.

Sorry for the rant, but since we are on losing weight and health issues, and, this is so recent for me - we must be more pro-active.

richg99 said:
OK I just got back from my very FIRST WeightWatchers meeting. Lost nearly 7 lbs in the first week ( I started off fat, remember)..and never really felt a bit hungry. I didn't skip my one or two scotch's at night, either.

Since, under their "new" program, I had a lot of "points" to work on..I never felt deprived. We shall see for the future..but...for now...I am happy.

Oh yea...I attended this meeting today with about 60 large and small women and only three or four guys. At least I wasn't the largest in the room of either sex. It was funny watching most of them shedding sweaters and shoes and God only knows what else when they weighed in.

I was weighed in originally with my shoes on...and I am NOT taking them off to get a better reading.

Ha! Rich

Thats what I have been doing off and on since 2000, I lost 60 pounds back then with it, Im gonna still use it today, problem as we all have is staying nuetral once we get to our goal. I like the WW program.

Outdoorsman said:
Copied and pasted from my Nov. 2010 post on the biggest loser thread...

"Ok..here I go again....copied and pasted from my Sept 09 post (when I was "Monarkman")...

Aug. 24 = 263
Aug. 31 = 257
Sept. 4 = 254.5 - Thank goodness for yardwork on hot days...
Sept. 11 = 252
Sept. 14 = 250.5
Sept. 18 = 248
Sept. 21 = 252 - **** weekend...
Sept. 23 = 250
Oct. 2 = 247
Oct. 15 = 243

Starting up again with a new (stronger) additude to stick with it...even with Thanksgiving tomorrow.....
Nov. 24 @ 248"

So where are we going to track current progress....here or biggest loser thread..???

Outdoorsman.

I think we are using this thread as our story, recording our results on the biggest loser thread

Ok...My story would be that I sometimes have severe lower back and knee and leg pain...not hard to figure out...I need to loose weight....about 50 - 60 lbs total would be great...

I will now start and continue to post progress and setbacks (if any) on the biggest looser forum.

See all you guys there.....

Outdoorsman.

Ok.... going to offer advise as I have had some success in the past and just gained it back. Restarted again last April at 243lbs. Don't count on the diet to keep it off you have got to be active to keep it off. I have not finished dropping yet, but I am down to 177. The biggest change I made this go around is walking. Yes just simply walking :mrgreen: I walk 2 miles every morning, just take the dog out and walk the neighborhood loop twice. During the summer when I had more time (I teach.. so summers off) I did 5 miles a day - two in the morning and then another 3 at night. I do this 5 days a week Monday through Friday and take the weekends off. Still looking to drop down to 170, but the last ten pounds have been hard to lose.

re "Active" walking etc. One lady at the WW meeting was earning BACK 13 points a day doing so much running or something at the gym. She couldn't use it all up... because it expires at the end of every week.

A number of the attendees offered to buy her extra "earned back" points. I think they are going to have an auction next week... Not really.......but.....they would like to.

So, getting more active earns me points that I can turn into more eating. Seems fair to me! Ha rich

Im in!

My story, and Im sticking to it. :mrgreen:

Went to teh doctors last year, he recommended I lose 1 pound per week. I put on about 5 pounds per year over the past 10 years. So my first goal was to maintain my current weight, accomplished. Then my goal was the 1 pound per week, lost 11 pounds in about as many months. Now that my youngest son is getting married next August, my new goal is to lose about 50 pounds by then.

My wife joined weight watchers about 2 months ago. She lost roughly 30 pounds to date and looks really good. She has like 2 tenths of an ounce to reach her goal.

Current weight flucuates between 255-260. Im 5'8".
I have NO health issues.