I own a tin boat because:

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colbyt

Reaction score
This is intended to become a really long thread.

I own a tin boat because after reading all the horror stories in other forums, I cant imagine why anyone would own a glass one.

So what say you???????

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318364#p318364 said:
thewalleyehunter » 16 minutes ago[/url]"]......because I can't afford the Ranger boat that I really want.
This along with the fuel to feed the beast. :cry:

I grew up in them and don't care to own anything else. I have a ton of great memories with family and friends in tins.

I own a Tin boat because they are ALOT easier to repair if something happens to them (IMO). They are lighter and easier to pull.

Can't afford to power a glass boat, and at this rate can't afford to feed a big power motor! In retrospect, don't have a vehicle that could tow a rig like I'd want anyway...

Glass sure rides nice though.

I got a really good deal one mine. I hounded the owner for a long time before he gave in and I love projects. I'll keep this one for the smaller lakes as my larger glass boat does take longer to prep for use.

I did have a glass boat too but have since bought and finished (project that sat in the desert for 12 years) a larger glass boat as the little tin is not very comfortable in the ocean.

I also just bought a brand new 22 foot travel trailer. Yup, I'm busy as heck these days in my retirement years!

I guess I like tins for several reasons. I like that they are light and fairly simple. They are fairly easy to launch, handle, and recover with one person. I like that they are easily modded and customized. I can actually afford tin boats, so that's a plus. I also like working with aluminum and feel confident that I can repair the boat if needed.

Got mine cheap
Enjoy building things
Can set it up however i feel
If I scratch it, or damage it I don't feel as bad.
I don't like having payments.
Besides having a fancy boat doesn't make you a better fisherman.

I got rid of glass and went back to tin because of the upkeep. Mine has no wood and a spray liner in place of carpet. It is the ultimate in low maintenance. I can pull it through the car wash and clean it out and it's dry and ready for the cover in no time. Glass with carpet is a constant hassle to keep clean.

All the boats I have ever owned were Tins. I'm on my 5th one.

I built my current tin because:

I wanted something that worked well in the type of lakes I am fishing.

I could design the layout for something that works for me.

It fits in my garage.

It's light and I can move it around by myself.

Because....

I can go places in it that my glass boat can never reach.
(yes, I own both and believe there is a place for both)

I fish freshwater lakes for the most part and around here there pretty small.
I can run in the high 20's,with a small outboard and troll all day with a 12V electric because of the weight of an aluminum boat.

1 I fish alone therefore launch alone.
2 I fish lots of hand launch only lakes (ive even carried my 16' semi v in a 6' ranger bed)
3 fiberglass is high maintenance. With my high maintenance woman I'd have no time to maintain the boat.
4 I drive a 4cyl Ford ranger
5 I'm too cheap for covers so I just flip them over.

Also if I used a glass boat to do the night time white water runs I do with my 20' Jon I'd probably be dead

Latest posts