I wanna go shallow!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blake

Reaction score
But I don't want to mess with a jet just yet. It's a 1542 flat bottom jon with a 25 yami 4 stroke. I just ordered a mini jackplate, and have as much weight forward as possible. I fish some shallow rocky rivers. Any tips???

Get a jet, or buy some spare props. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-jet-20-outboard-2005-model-two-stroke-/190845756697?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c6f4b2519&vxp=mtr#ht_120wt_1170(i read the part about you not wanting to mess with a jet) Really though, other than shifting weight, you're just going to have to tread carefully and expect to take some dings I think.

Macs river runner and tilt motor up as far as you can. Buy a push pole for really shallow spot where you have to lift motor all the way up.

How low of horsepower do jet models come in, and can they be practical for a smaller boat, like a 12' Alweld mod v? Do you need a "tunnel" hull for them?

some of the rapids i have to go through are as shallow as 6". i have to get out and pull the boat up them, which isn't bad with two people, but really sucks by yourself.

Unless you're running a prop tunnel hull with your motor on a jack plate, I don't think you're getting a prop through 6 inches...and even then you're pushing it and that would be with sandy ot muddy bottom. A rocky bottom? You're asking for trouble in my opinion. What you're describing is what jets are made for.

Good luck my friend. Hope you find a solution that works for you.

Not to play devil's advocate but if you're going 6" on a river you could consider going with an inflatable pontoon boat at that point. Going to be much better given the rocks and if you did need any propulsion put a cheap transom trolling motor with a composite shaft on it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=316794#p316794 said:
Beercap » Today, 11:11[/url]"]Not to play devil's advocate but if you're going 6" on a river you could consider going with an inflatable pontoon boat at that point. Going to be much better given the rocks and if you did need any propulsion put a cheap transom trolling motor with a composite shaft on it.

it's not the downstream trip i'm worried about. it's getting back upstream to the ramp.

dangit, you guys are gonna make me spend more money on a jet motor!

Jet is the ONLY way to go on rivers such as what you are describing. They aren't any good for anything else but for rock bottom shallow water, they rule. We rented a couple boats a while back. First day we got a Shawnee 20' river boat with a 25 Mercury 4 stroke prop. Did good. Impressed me actually but we still had to pull the boat over the one shoal. Next day, same place we rented a jet. I'd never run one and they normally don't rent them, but I knew the owner of the dock and agreed to fix it if I tore it up. He was ok with it. Same boat but set up for jet (20' Shawnee). The difference is....huge. We ran in about 7" of water, wide open all the way across. The down side-noisy, doesn't turn real good, uses more fuel, and not friendly with mud/sand/etc.

I did see a F25 Yamaha jet at one time, though I don't know who made the jet. I wasn't aware that Yamaha offered them. Made me wonder if it was possible to remove the prop foot and bolt the jet foot on for a weekend, then switch back. I have the same motor (F25ESH).