Identity of 14' boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br0uce

Reaction score
I could use some help identifying this boat I bought last year. It's about 14' long and had a wood deck in it that I took out so I could start modifying it. The black streaks are where they used some kind of construction adhesive to glue down the carpet. There are no identifying marks on it... it's been repainted numerous times. Some unique features are that it has ribs that run lengthwise instead of across. The horizontal pieces are actually the seats that the previous owner bent down and used for supports for the wood floor.

Also, the gunwales are different than most I've seen. They have lots of holes drilled in them where things have been mounted, so I'm trying to decide whether to replace them or not. There is plywood on the underside of the horizontal surfaces that would have to be replaced.

Anyone have this same type of boat? I would love to know what kind it is.

The Evinrude on the back is a 1975 9.9hp (10555C). Haven't had a chance to see if it runs yet. Just bought a tiller handle for it on ebay so I could convert it back - don't intend to have a console in the new layout.

Attachments

• Inside of 14ft boat.jpg
    Inside of 14ft boat.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,805
  • original from side.jpg
    original from side.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,805
  • original from front.jpg
    original from front.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,805
I don't know what you have there but I like the way it's built.
Good luck fixing her up.

Thanks. There are a lot of things I like about it too, but it seems to be different enough from other mods on here that it might take some different ways of doing things (like attaching framing to ribs on the side of the boat since there aren't any).

I'm open to any suggestions. I've gotten a lot of good ideas from this site already, but always open to more.

Thanks for the tip. After doing some research I think it might be a 14.5' Lone Star Commander. Does anyone else have one of these? Any idea what hear it might be or what the specs are (max weight, hp)?

I don't think you have to worry about attatching your framing to the actual side of the boat. You could make a flat floor with the existing support, and tie any framework to that and the gunnels. I think that is where the support for the top of the boat comes from on boats like that. Mine just has a small cap, with the main support coming from the seats that are spaced throughout the boat. Anyway, welcome aboard and good luck.

mmf - thanks for the link. I had just found that same site earlier today. I'm pretty sure it's a Commander of some year, but I still haven't found a picture of one with the same combination of gunnels, interior ribs running length-wise, transom style and transom braces. The trim on the outside goes the length of the boat, so it looks like an early 50's style (it appears that they shortened it on the later models).

ncfishin - I had pretty much resigned myself to doing what you said - attach a flat floor and have everything else attached to that and the gunnels. That would mean, obviously, that I would have to keep the gunnels the way they are. i was debating about changing them (or removing the present ones) since they have so many holes in them and the underside plywood is all rotted. But i think you're right. My guess is there is same structural support associated with the way they are now. So I may end up replacing the plywood on the underside, filling holes in the aluminum where I can, and replacing any pieces with too many holes.

It's cold here in Indiana, and unfortunately I had to give up my garage for the winter, so I'm just in the planning stages until the weather gets nicer.

Thanks for the all the help so far. Any more help with the narrowing down the year of the boat, or other suggestions for the gunnels would be appreciated.

br0uce said:
Thanks for the tip. After doing some research I think it might be a 14.5' Lone Star Commander. Does anyone else have one of these? Any idea what hear it might be or what the specs are (max weight, hp)?

Hello there,
If you look at my post, 14 foot aluminum "Commander" you may find something similar.[see pics].
Mine is rated for a 24 hp motor and I am sure that it is from the 60's.
Look for my post and read it over. Like yourself I am also trying to get more info on this boat. Lonestar did make a Commander and I believe Chrysler continued the name under their takeover of Lonestar in 1965. I hope it helps.
Sean, Ontario, Canada.
SPK.

Latest posts