If a title was lost to a boat, how hard is it to obtain one?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no no no

For future reference, this is the way it works in PA:
Currently, boats < 14' don't get titles unless the owner requests one. There was a time where boats > 14' weren't titled either.

If the boat had a title, it will say so on the PA registration card. If the boat never had one, all you have to do is have the owner sign the PA Fish and Game registration card, (or a new registration application saying that he sold it to you, if the owner does not have a registration card, and you will get your registration). You can get it on the spot if you go to one of their offices. Before you buy, call PAF&G and ask if the person's name you are buying it from is the same as on the the registration (they will not tell you the name, but they will verify if you have the correct name).

PA registrations, for boats without titles, can be used to transfer ownership like a title. There is a space for signing over ownership on the card.

If the boat ever had a title, it is best to get the tilted owner to apply for a new one ( which is simple), and then forward it to you.

A buddy of mine found an old tin hull cuddy cabin here in Tx, sitting in a field complete with bullet holes and all. He bought it for a great price, and I cringed when he told me there was no title for it. Well, just last week he went to TPWD and told them the boat was sitting on his own property when he bought it from his dad, but had no idea who's name it was in. I don't know the whole process he went thru, but he left with a new title in his name being mailed to him. Maybe the nightmare has a little bit to do with the story told?

Even though I am retired, I like to think that my time is worth something (not much, maybe).

IF... you have plenty of time, and you can buy the boat for $150.00, you know your monetary risk is small. Every State, and even individual offices, treat these matters differently.

I know that in Texas, I would have wasted both time and money on an unregistered Boat Trailer from TN.

In Texas, boats are handled by Texas Parks and Wildlife; Trailers are handled by the Dept. of Motor Vehicles. Two separate and completely different groups....forms and fees...and all.