Ill be picking this up tomorrow!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatinIdaho

Reaction score
Unless some one has a good reason why not!

https://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/4584422172.html

He said it also had a new ignition box last year.
I will be able to hear it start and run before I buy it.
Anything I should check for before handing over my money?

Check the compression no more than a 10% variance on each cylinder. Look into each cylinder with a small flashlight. You don't want to see any scoring on the cylinder walls or pitting on the cylinders. Look at each spark plug, you don't want to see any small metal flakes ( a sign of worn out/bearings breaking down ). Check to see if the prop shaft is straight, & check the color of the lower unit oil ( nothing milky or with metal flakes ). Just the usual check list when looking at a used outboard. If everything checks out & it runs good then go for it.

So after about an hour hooking it up so it would run the engine fired up pretty easy after about 4 seconds spinning then died. Restarted and everything every thing was working as it should. fwd, Rev, N. Shut it off restarted right back up. Seemed to be a little rich is all but nothing bad and hard to tell in a barrel anyway so I buy it.
Forgot my compression gauge at home so could not check that but spinning by hand it seems real good.
Once I got it home naturally I had to sit it on my boat and take the cover off and admire stuff. Its clean!
But then I spot a screw and spring just sitting under the flywheel not doing a thing. I have looked at parts diagrams but cant find any thing that looks like it under there and nothing feels lose so I dunno maybe some one here can identify it?
the other problem and maybe why running rich was a missing welch plug!. Ill clean the area and install a new one from a Johnson carb kit that fits it.

Attachments

• IMG_20140815_152632_315.jpg
    IMG_20140815_152632_315.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20140815_152651_479.jpg
    IMG_20140815_152651_479.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 300