In Over My Head?????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loggerhead Mike said:
i cant beleave its gone down so much, must be everybody scraping everything they can when the economy took a dump

Might be part of the reason but I reckon the biggest reason is there is no market to buy the scrap to smelt it, seeing as fewer finished goods are being sold.

UPDATE!!!!

I kept looking and looking on craigslist and brought this trailer here for $150:

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

The bunks fell off on the way home :shock: but they were to short anyway. The only problem is now that it's a bit on the short side. About 6ft of the boat hangs off the back. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get the tongue extended out. How long of an extension should I get and how much of the boat is okay to let hang out the back?? Thanks again for all your responses, this site is really great!!

Do you have a welder? If so, just cut the old toung off and weld on a longer piece of 2x2 box, weld the winch post and bolt the hitch back on and your good. I'm not sure how much you want hanging off the back but I would say not much.

Lenny said:
I don't have a welder but I do know a shop that has good prices. I was gonna run the trailer by and see what they can do.

Lenny,the trailer you bought is an old style Northern Tool or Harbor Freight trailer.You saved $50 by buying used.

Good find on the trailer.

Gotta love the instant front brake dust on the F150's. Your neighbors wheels look just like mine do after I drive 2 miles down the road and back. :lol:

Ford put the cheapest brake pads on these trucks that they could find. :x

Quackrstackr said:
Good find on the trailer.

Gotta love the instant front brake dust on the F150's. Your neighbors wheels look just like mine do after I drive 2 miles down the road and back. :lol:

Ford put the cheapest brake pads on these trucks that they could find. :x

Use ceramic brake pads if you can find them.NAPA sells them here.I use them on all my vehicles and some others that I do work on.They last a long time and don't dust up the wheels as bad,unless you go for months without washing your vehicle.

ben2go said:
Lenny said:
I don't have a welder but I do know a shop that has good prices. I was gonna run the trailer by and see what they can do.

Lenny,the trailer you bought is an old style Northern Tool or Harbor Freight trailer.You saved $50 by buying used.

I knew this trailer looked familar. The only thing that I was wondering is why it has the
tounge welded on. I wish I could just do a tounge swap. I don't understand, I thought that you could fit a 12-14 footer on these?

Lenny said:
The only thing that I was wondering is why it has the
tounge welded on. I wish I could just do a tounge swap. I don't understand, I thought that you could fit a 12-14 footer on these?

$40 dollar angle grinder and a $2 cut off disk and you don't have a tongue welded on any more. I had to do the same thing on my trailer because it had the type of coupler that screwed down so there was no way to lock it on when it was on the tow vehicle.

Old coupler:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/download/file.php?id=6532&mode=view/Old coupler 1.JPG

New coupler:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/download/file.php?id=6544&mode=view/New coupler.JPG

Lenny said:
ben2go said:
Lenny said:

I knew this trailer looked familar. The only thing that I was wondering is why it has the

Someone welded the tongue on after it came loose on them.You should be able to get a 12' to 14' on there.Slide the winch post forward and make the bunks a little longer.If your boat will set between the fenders,just bolt the bunks flat to the trailer frame.

turn it into a flatbed yard and garden trailer and shop for a better one, you can't go wrong with a galvinized one.