insides of a 55# Minn Kota transom mount

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterboy

Reaction score
my neighbor saw I recently got a boat and had no trolling motor so he gave me this motorguide from his shed and said it worked. When I took it out the box :shock: I was like OMG! :shock: I told him I had already ordered a hand controlled transom mount trollmotor and thanked him as I figured I could somehow use the destroyed 41# motorguide whisper trollmoter for parts. Well I knew I wanted a bow mount and after 45 mins of fiddling got it all to come together.

Attachments

• guts.jpg
    guts.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 798
  • tmdestroyed.jpg
    tmdestroyed.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 798
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 798
Yeah, now i have to figure out the best way to mount it. I looked at a bunch of bow mounted jons and most have the troller off to the side and perpendicular to the boat midline raised flush by using two stacked pieces of carpeted wood. I can't get my hand under the front deck to secure nuts/bolts so I'll likely need to use toggle bolts through the front deck. Looks like it will need to be permanently mounted b/c i can't visualize a way to make it removable.

any ideas?

Edit: I'm just going to cut some of the vertical part of the front deck for my arm to fit through comfortably for access and will attach the trollmotor mount correctly using Stainless bolts,stainless locking nuts w/washers, and may use a backing plate. I figure.... just do it right the 1st time. :p

Attachments

• cutout.jpg
    cutout.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 759
It feels so nice to come in from the HEAT and type up this post. I hate styrofoam beads they are all over the place :lol: I did put a paper towel down to catch some of the mess and empty it as I go.

Just a little more digging and I think we will have access to the trollmotor mounting bolts [-o<

Attachments

• i-hate-styrofoam.jpg
    i-hate-styrofoam.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 745
Keep going, nobody likes a quitter! Good luck and I hope it all works out like you want it. I wanted to let you know that they make a mounting system (if you will). You drill a hole and put this rubber piece with a nut in the bottom in and then put the bolt in it and is sucks the rubber up and keeps it from coming out of the hole. https://www.trollingmotorparts.com/...tegory/Motor+Guide/browse//MenuGroup/Home.htm
Look here at the isolator mounting kit.

yeah I used those rubber toggles before and had them pull out on another boat when trolling too shallow and the shaft hit ground and everything just buckled up :shock: popping the rubber mounts out. Needless to say I was more interested in casting then looking where I was going, :lol:

But I didn't give up on this project. see pics. Just need to take it all down, treat the wood and carpet cover and replace.

Not too bad for converting the hand control transom mount 55# Minn Kota Endura onto a Motorguide bow mount.

Attachments

• full-view.jpg
    full-view.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 735
  • plate-view.jpg
    plate-view.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 735