Interior lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Midwesterner

Reaction score
Looking to add some interior lights for night fishing. Any preference on colors? Red or white?

I'd be alright with old school non led lights because they aren't as bright. Any suggestions?

From what little I've read on the subject, red is supposed to be the one that is least likely to attract insects. I think I'd use a combination, red for general usage that I can leave "on" and white for spaces like when I need to look inside of a compartment such as a console or under a deck. When I bow fished I used big, like 50,000 lumen lights and they seemed to be bug magnets, go figure! If you're just going to catfish I'd go with the red.

Just some information to consider on lights.

USCG rules say that decorative lighting cannot: be mistaken for navigation lights, impair the vision or distinctive character of approved navigation lights, or interfere with the operator’s ability to maintain a proper lookout.

While some states have adopted USCG lighting standards that authorize only the use of white, red and green navigation lights while underway, some states have specific statutes prohibiting blue lights.

I installed 4 of these license plate lights pointing downward. One on the side of the side console, one on a storage locker, and two on the rear of the bench seat to light up the fuel tank, battery area. All are below the gunnel so they aren't visible from other boats. They are plenty bright enough for what I need.

https://www.buggiesunlimited.com/product.asp?sku=31762&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=KC+-+Shopping+-+UF+-+Catch+All&utm_term=4581527523464536&msclkid=4b9b25c29b241d00c50d45a0a707c4c7&utm_content=All+Products