IRI 11-12/13-2008 With Jake and Capt Ahab :)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
Met up with Steve , Dave and a friend of Daves .. Jake at about 8pm . The tide was high and water pretty clear with light winds from the South at about 0 to 5 MPH .
Steve started things off ..
1002492mn3.jpg

Then Jake ..
1002493tb1.jpg

Then Dave ..
1002494je2.jpg

I wont lie I was starting to feel like I forgot how to catch fish .. It took me A LONG time and them guys especially Steve were catching .. Steve took my spot as high hook .. Man he was on one of my rolls and it made me feel very odd until I got the skunk off ..
1002495jw0.jpg

Steve stayed with the hot hand all night but everyone managed to get fish and I only took everyones first pic and then the rest were when I wasnt in the water .. Some other pics were taken and I am sure they will get posted soon but heres a few more :)
1002497uh5.jpg

1002496mj3.jpg

Even got some double headers :) ..
1002498is5.jpg

1002500wv3.jpg

1002504kb5.jpg

1002501xq6.jpg

1002499sm4.jpg

Another Double ..
1002506sh5.jpg

1002505uw0.jpg

1002507wk1.jpg

One more Double ..
1002508by8.jpg

Dave showing some "love" ;)
1002509sh3.jpg

The bite slowed way down at time and near the end Dave finally plays with some Shad ..
1002510ra2.jpg

The oddest thing happened tonight .. You know how sometime some people forget to take the HOOK GUARDS off .. Well it was Steve's turn to forget but he didnt realise it until he went to take the lure out of the Stripers mouth .. He caught a Striper with the hook guard on and the point of the hook was NOT exposed .. I am impressed :):)
The tide had turned and was coming back in so the bite was pretty much gone Steve , Dave and Jake headed home while I went out to the rail and tossed Swimbaits and Plugs with NO action .. I then switched to a longline rig and hooked up to a nice fish but the wind had taken my line over the bulkhead and it was caught up .. I could see the Striper splashing and thrashing but I could not pull it free .. The fish escaped and I snapped the line .. Out of anger for being stupid not to take the wind into consideration .. I got 1 Shad and 1 Schoolie and lost 2 more flies . The water was being sucked into the basin and thats a lost lure when that happens so I noticed the sky getting light and rigged up a Proper Longline rig witha 3oz sinker and then just waited for the sun to show .. That didnt happen and it started to sprinkle and the winds picked up to about 10 to 12 out of the South East .. What did happen was I made up for only getting 7 Stripers earlier .. I nailed them on every cast for 10 consecutive casts with 2@26" .. I then got bit off 2 times .. SO that was 4 of the 6 new flies I just got from Bryan .. I was down to a Black/Purple and a Black/White so I went with the BP and hooked to a nice fish that just ripped drag like crazy .. I'd gain then he'd take and finally after about 10 minutes my line went slack .. The fish escaped :( .. Next cast I get another nice fish and it does the same dance except after about a 10 minute battle in full moon raging current I got it close and it looked like a keeper .. The fish lunged for the bottom one more time and had wrapped itself up .. I could feel it pulling and everyone was waiting to see this fish .. I had an audience anyways from my record 10 in a row :)
I tried everything I could think of to free the fish but nothing worked and after 5 minutes I just pulled about 20 feet of slack out and waited .. Took about 15 minutes before I saw a tug as the line goes taught so I lift the rod tip very quick and feel the fish again but by this time she is DONE .. The fish was 28" on the dot and 29.5" with the tail pinched .. Some of the guys couldnt believe when I walked down the rocks and revived the fish and set it free .. I just have NO more room for fish .. Why tbut after Thanksgiving I'll have room again ;)
Anyhow back to the report .. I ended up catching about 20 schoolies and all nice and FAT and then I get my biggest ever Bluefish .. Not the longest by anymeans as she taped out at 32" but I swear that thing was over 17 pounds ..
1002511oq2.jpg

A few minutes later and a guy to my left nails the biggest one I ever seen and I'd say 20 Pounds .. I wish I could have taken more pics but the rain made me leave it in the truck .
I called my wife and asked her to get the daughter to take her to work and she agreed :) BUT I must have jinxed myself as I only caught 1 more Striper at about 11 inches .. I saw a few more get caught but by 10am it was over .
Lots of birds working but way way out of reach .
I met 2 guys from PA who were headed home at noon and one of them wanted to try longling as he watched the guys yesterday .. I saw him rigging up a heavy bucktail with a 4 ounce sinker so I ask why .. He said the baitshop isnt open and this is all I have .. I tied him a rig and gave him a Fly with a few tips and 10 minutes
later he walks up and says thanks again I just got 1 small Striper .. He went back and got 2 more before breaking the hook . BY this time his brother had returned from the baitshop with some flies and in 20 minutes that guy landed a 31 incher :):) I was so happy for him and he Thanked me again and again .

I HAD A BALL :):)

Bryan all those flies kicked *** especially the Black/Purple .

Dave I wish you could have stayed ;)

You guys need a video camera,start your own fishing show.
You definitly have the fish catching knack.
Way to go,guys.

Besides catching the most Striped Bass, Steve used wader and a clam rake to haul in all the snaggy stuff in this part of the ocean - attached to each snag was a few brand new lures. By the end of the night he had over a dozen.

he was great - and Tom kept pointing out various sea creatures that would rush the shallows to get away from the hungry bass. I even broke out a super light rod and caught some shad - the poor man's Tarpon.

Nov_Stripers_005.jpg

Nov_Stripers_004.jpg

Nov_Stripers_002.jpg

Nov_Stripers_003.jpg

A big thanks to Tom and Steve for showing me the ropes, I had the best time I have ever had saltwater fishing from shore. Even after a three hour drive after our long fishing trip, I had a hard time falling asleep....could have been the rockstar energy drink I sipped on while driving home or it could have been the rush from catching my first ever stripers. Thanks Again

Here are a few more pics

111208firststriperaf.jpg

davestriperf.jpg

111208striperirif.jpg

davestriper2f.jpg

Latest posts