IRI - CHP - RI 10-12-08

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
FYI ;)
IRI = Indian River Inlet
CHP = Cape Henlopen Pier at CHSP
chsp = Cape Henlopen State Park
RI = Roosevelt Inlet

Arrived at IRI at Midnight and found quite a few people out front by the CG station so I moved around back .. No one there but Herons .. Had 3 boats out on the corner picking off Stripers quite regulalry but I didnt see any keepers . Water was clear and winds from the SE at about 5MPH .. Tide was low and almost slack .
The Snapper Blues were pissing me off because they were so small I couldnt get a hook in them .. I tried all throughout the water colum with a strike using a 4" Panther Martin .. I saw a few Mullet and Spot and even got a glimpse of s few Striped ones but none wanted to play . I switched to a 6" BA and got hooked up to a nice fish .. fought it for about 10 minutes and got her close .. She went nuts and threw the BA .. I tried for another 30 minutes but no luck ..
I switched to a tandem rig with 3" Chartruese Twisters and picked off Shad after Shad ..
1002157sg1.jpg

The tide finally slacked at about 2:30am so I switched back to the PM Swimbait thinking I could work it nice and slow since the current had slowed up considerably .. 2nd cast I get hooked up but doesnt last more than 30 seconds before it popped off .. 2 cast later I hook up again and finally land a fish and to my surprise its a keeper Flounder :)
1002158ez1.jpg

Just shy of 23" and my first on a Panther Martin .. The Herons started coming close and feeding on Speckled crabs ..
1002159qd9.jpg

I decided to hit CHP at 3am for some Mullet but when I got there I found I had left my castnet at home .. I walked the pier and saw Stripers , Trout , Bluefish , Flounder and Spot as well as Mullet . I made the run home at 4am and was back at 5am .. by 6:30am I got 60 Nice BIG Cobbs and 2 Spot ..
1002161jk3.jpg

The sun was starting to rise so I took off for RI in hopes of a Trout but caught 1 Bluefish at about 16" and lost about a pack of BA's to Snapper Blues .. I gave in and called it quits at 7:30am ..

Another shot of the Flat fish :)
1002162je0.jpg

There were A LOT of Needlefish at CHP and quite a few big Jellyfish .. Temperatures need to drop a tad still for the Stripers to start feeding hard but on a good note ... The Trout are still at CHP :)

FishinsMyLife said:
Do you eat mullet? I've only used them for bait.

Nice catch
No I dont eat them but people around here years ago lived off them during the colder months . I use them for bait . Finger Mullet I jig whole for Flounder and Trout and at times Striper . I take the Cobbs and scale them then strip them into long strips for Flounder and Trout and will at times use whole uncut filets from Finger Mullet .
I do very well with this rig tied in Tandem ..

Latest posts