is it worth it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowesam

Reaction score
i've heard of guys swapping the carbs and reeds on the 9.9hp evinrudes to the 15hp units, and was wondering if it is worth the money to make those changes or should i just save up my pennies and buy a 20 or 25hp motor. thanks in advance

sam riley

Some motors use smaller carbs to restrict power and choke them back a few HP.That maybe the case with your engine.It may just be a restricted engine so they can sell them at lower HP ratings without building a smaller displacement engine.

i believe that is the case with the 9.9hp and the 15hp evinrude motors, mine is a 1998 or 1999 model 9.9 so if anyone can say if they are the same motors, with the 9.9 just being restricted it would help me out a lot

thanks
sam riley

First of all, make sure that you can on that motor. It is so foggy with those, I have yet to find the right answer to that question, and heaven knows I have searched. (Now the question I did find the answer to a long time ago, was whether or not you could put a 9.9 cover on a 15 outboard to sneak into 9.9 lakes...... :D )

On certain models, especially from the 70s, I am fairly sure you can just change the carbs, but I know not for certain. On many, the blocks were the same, and had the same bore and stroke, but there were exhaust restricters as well. However, the weights of most of these motors were almost always the same, because most of the stuff was the same.

First, check and see if you indeed can. The only way I can tell to do this is to look at a parts diagram for both the 9.9 and 15, and see what part numbers they share, and what they don't, you will need to replace. Then, try to find them. Used ones will be hard to find, as these motors haven't gotten to the point to where people kill one and part them out. New ones will cost you an arm and leg.

Here is the 9.9 and 15 parts manual.
https://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=d3f628f5785eafaad0b05683844d26e6
https://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=d3f628f5785eafaad0b05683844d26e6
You just need to click on the proper model number.

everything is the same on them except for the decals and carbs.. you'd be lucky, If you can find one on ebay, they tend to go fast and allot of bidders.

okay done some research, looks like it is something that is possible given you want to spend a ton of money for not a lot of improvement, i think i'd be a lot better off finding a decent used 20 or 25 of the same age as my 9.9, but i'm gonna keep my eyes peeled, there is a guy locally that is always bustin up outboards and sellin the parts, i'm gonna go dig through some of his stuff and see if he has a 15hp motor close to the same year. but who knows come tax time my other half may be outta luck and i might buy a new 25hp two stroke.

thanks
sam riley

Latest posts