Jet boat Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I have to rant a little. After being excited about getting to rebuild not just my motor but also the boat something finally had to give. I have had my cylinders at this machine shop since January 3. Before I even dropped them off I called the guy and asked how long it would take to do the work. I wanted to schedule my build to where I would be ready for a fishing trip in early February. The guy told me with the current work load and all it should be a week. I took the cylinders up there and waited a week and no call. I call and he tells me he hasn't gotten to me yet but I am next. I wait a couple more days and still no call so I call him. He said he just got done and told me what size piston kit to get. I ask him then how long after I get that to him would it take for me to get it all matched up and back in my hands. He said if I get the parts to him the next morning I could pick it up the following evening. Well here it is over a week and 3 phone calls later. He still hasn't gotten to me, but everytime tells me oh it will be ready tomorrow. Or it will be ready begining of next week. I don't have a problem with a company that is busy and can't get to me right away. Especially if they are doing that good in this economy right now. But I can't stand it to have a man tell me straight up that something will be ready on a certain day and it not. Especially when he hasn't even gotten to it. Don't lie to me. Just tell me hey we are a little behind give us another week. I will be fine with that because then I don't make plans to work on something that isn't ready. Ok, sorry for the rant it is just driving me nuts. Being as I didn't get to work on the motor last night I did do some more work on the console. Everything worked out ok but not as pretty as I would have liked. I guess after being agrivated with the machine shop guy and then runnning out of welding wire just when I started to get in a good rhythm welding lead me to some consoling with a 12 ounce friend. So after a few work started getting a little sloppy but all in all I have a grinder to clean up the welds and it is on its way to being done. All I have left is to clean up what I want to clean, cut holes for the last of the accessories, and then sand. I should be able to paint it tomorrow sometime. Then I can start back on the boat floor and wiring. I attached some pictures of the console. Let me know what yall think. Again sorry for the rant.

Attachments

• Side View Of Welded Console.jpg
    Side View Of Welded Console.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 746
  • Welded Center Console.jpg
    Welded Center Console.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 746
Just got back my block from the machine shop. Everything looks good and was relatively cheaper then I thought. $55 a hole is what he told me it would cost starting out and that is what he charged. I wasn't planning on working on it tonight being as I feel a little under the weather and could use some catching up on my sleep but I am excited to get this thing back together. I will post further progress in the morning. Man I hope I can get this little thing back together correctly.

Well I was too excited to rest last night, so I got a little work done. I just kept the kleenexes by the block as I cleaned it. I didn't do much, but I did get the rings on the pistons, the needle bearings on the wrist pin, and everything ready for me to reinstall the pistons. It is going together rather smoothly so far so hopefully that keeps up. I also got my decals this morning for my motor. I plan on putting another coat of paint on the everything before I apply the decals but you can see them in the pictures below. Think I should have gotten a size smaller as these are pretty big, but I know they will at least fit. I know the horse power decal is a little off but I like the sound of the 48 better. I will post some more pictures tomorrow of the work on the motor. I am thinking I can get it all put back together this evening, but we will see.

Attachments

• Decals.JPG
    Decals.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 693
I knew I was taking too long but this is ridiculous... Yesterday a man found a half submerged sack in the Colorado River where we frequent. It was full of cash and coins. Never said how much but he got turned in by a banker when he tried to exchange the wet bills for dry ones. (Hated to admit there are some slow people here) Worse thing is my father and I did a river clean up this past summer with some friends for Ducks Unlimitied and we searched the whole banks in that area for any trash. Man that would have been sweet to have done some comunity and then cashed in as well. I am trying to upload the link but lets see if it does. https://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/vid...At-Colorado-River20120123-ktbcw#axzz1kOAm1saq

Blake says the Bastrop Police Department will wait 30 days to see if anyone claims the money. He will then post a legal notice in local newspapers for 90 days. If the money remains unclaimed, a hearing will be held to determine who the money will go to.

Read more: https://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/video/Man-Discovers-Buried-Treasure-At-Colorado-River20120123-ktbcw#ixzz1kRoSQlfN

that pisses me off. the guy found the money, it is his, end of story. [-X

So I tried to put my block back togther, but no luck. THe crank wouldn't turn and I was tired of messing with it. Luckily we got a bunch of much needed rain over the night that prevented me from getting to work. This allowed me to get back to the motor. After getting so much needed guidence from Lil Blue Rude I took the shaft back out and discovered some of the main bearings were cracked. (Probably from me not seating them correctly) So I ordered new parts, which won't be in till next week, and then just cleaned up my work area and covered everything back up. Since I couldn't do anything on the motor itself I decided to get back to the paint job. I wasn't happy with the original pain color as it wasn't real flat. Plus seem to be real brittle, so I wire brushed and sanded everything back down. After a good wipe I repainted all the motor pieces as well as the center console. Let me know what yall think. I will probably not get anything done the next few days, but come Saturday I would like to get my floor supports in on the boat and possibly secure the floor down. Then I can begin to figure out the wiring.

Attachments

• Painted Console.jpg
    Painted Console.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 709
  • Front of Painted Console.jpg
    Front of Painted Console.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 709
Well the paint looks good. I plan on adding the decals tomorrow evening before I have to go out. I started thinking the I might change the plain flat black of the color scheme with some gloss black skulls or something else to break up the plainess. While I won't get the bearings on the drive shaft till mid next week I am nervous I won't get this motor back together right. I have too much invested now to quit but also I got to know when to cut my losses. Guess I will wait till the parts come in and keep with my buddy Lil blue rude to do my best but there is no outboard machanics worth a crap around me. Either way I will get y'all some updates after I get the decals on tomorrow.

The decals were a little difficult at first nut I think they will work. Wish they weren't so big and had so much white but hey they work. Let me know what y'all think.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327713845.104660.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327713845.104660.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 682
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327713886.983151.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1327713886.983151.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 682
You'll get it going no problem.
Hood looks good. Think the decals are just right size. If you want to break up the flat black you might gloss the top or do some design in gloss or somethink like that under the decals. Might do the evinrude emblem in gloss somewhere.

Yeah I agree about breaking up the flat black. I was thinking of doing some stencil work in gloss black to change it up. Otherwise I gotta get on the the floor supports this weekend so that I can get this rig Rollins by the second weekend in February.

The new bearings and parts should be in tomorrow. I have to do some work for my dad before I can get to my motor so we will see how what happens. I will update everyone tomorrow with any new work. Quick question though. I was getting all the wiring figured out since I have the time and cant figure out what to do about the trolling motor. It is a 56 lb thrust 12 or 24 volt motor guide. I want to wire it 12 volt just to keep things simple but I want to make sure that if I do just the 12 Volts that it won't hurt the power of the thrust rather just limit the run time compared to the 24 volt. Thanks for the help. Hope to get this thing going by the end of the weekend.

Got done with helping dad and decided to get the shaft back in the block. Well it seems things are the way they should. Everything is torqued down and only snapped one bolt so far. The shaft turns a lot smoother then before, but still feels to have the right compression so far. Here are some pictures of the block so far. Hopefully the rest of the build goes smoother. I will update tomorrow with the latest progress.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328062060.727150.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328062060.727150.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 631
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328062096.416480.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328062096.416480.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 631