Jet on g3 non tunnel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampThing07

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I currently own a 1652 g3 side console with a yamaha 40 2 stroke prop non tunnel. I fish some shallow waters that I would like to explore more. Would it be usless to put a jet outboard on my non tunnel? I was thinking a new mercury 60/40. Figured this would be the place to ask.

Thanks

Id say for every 100 boats with a outboard jet, maybe 1 of them have a tunnel. And alot of boats loose a mph or 2 after doing a tunnel.
-Nate[/quote]

Same in our area. Most guys run jet johns without the tunnel.

What do you guys think about just putting a jet foot on my 40 2 stroke? It would basically make it a 30hp at the jet pushing my 1652. I can get the foot new for 1700. Then probably need to add a jack plate. Worth saving the money and going this route? I get about 28.6 mph with two people and prop. Figured I would get 25 with the jet?

Im not looking for lighting speed. Think I can ger 25 with two? It would be nice bc then I could switch to the prop in summer time and jet in winter

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=362137#p362137 said:
SwampThing07 » Yesterday, 5:16 pm[/url]"]Im not looking for lighting speed. Think I can ger 25 with two? It would be nice bc then I could switch to the prop in summer time and jet in winter

Which hull model do you have?

Not sure on the exact weight of mine, but here is what I have for comparison.......

1996 Tracker 1648 - riveted with 15" transom. Custom modified with open floor plan (removed middle bench seat) aluminun floor, aluminum bow deck and aluminum hatches (4)
-1994 Johnson 50/35 with stainless impeller completely rebuilt last summer by my buddy and I. New pistons, freshly bored cylinders, new gaskets and hoses, etc.
-25-26mph with 3 people, 2 coolers and fishing gear.
-26-27mph with 2 people, cooler and fishing gear.

Thanks. Now just trying to see if its worth spending that much on a new 60/40 jet our save my money towards a new boat with jet