Johnny Morris spinning reels?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juggernot

Reaction score
Looking for feedback from anyone who fishes w these type of reels w the short, very wide spools? How do they perform?

Thumbs up.

The wide spool seems to cast farther and has better line recovery than traditional spools. I just bought my 2nd JM. I have no reason to upgrade.

I have a few of the JM reels with the magnum spools, as well as couple Pro Qualifiers, and a Pflueger Arbor. I prefer the wide spool over a smaller spool because I notice better casting distance and the line doesn't seem to get memory as bad as compared to my smaller spools. I definitely prefer using fluoro on the wider spool versus the smaller ones.

I was really suprised when i opened it up to clean it, all metal gears, good bearings. Much better than the U.S. Reel that is a similar design. There was alot of grease in the JM that was not necessary..

Do you need a large first guide on the rod to get the long casting or are any rods OK w the fat spools?

Do you mean specific for these wider spooled reels ? or any spinning rod? I'll be using a 7' one piece probly.

Any spinning rod. Thought you were meaning a casting rod like i see some ppl who dont know how to fish trying to do

I should have said " any spinning rod " I've seen and tried to tell some folks they were doing it all wrong, holding spinning reels upside down on casting rods and reeling backwards but they did'nt get it :fishing2:

And I should clarify... I use the 4000 model. They make a 5000 model but it's too big for me. The 4000 holds over 150 yds of 8# flouro, which is more than I want. They also come with a second spool for braid if that's your fancy. I just got another last night and a carbonlite to put it on #-o **** these sales!!!

OK now the big question............is the JM worth the extra cash compared to the Pro Qualifiers ?

juggernot said:
OK now the big question............is the JM worth the extra cash compared to the Pro Qualifiers ?

I dunno because I've never had the spinning version of the Pro Qualifier.

I only buy any of the BPS reels when they go on Sale. Right now, the JM is $79 (same price as Qualifier) instead of $99

All my spinning reels have braid. Except for my ultralites. I have three 2500 series and one 4000. I use 20# and 10# braid. The braid casts way better than mono is very limp and great sensitivity. Ill never use mono on a spinning reel again. Just my opinion