Johnson 115hp Bad Cylinder

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreadinger

Reaction score
I have a 1992 TJ115TLEND that has a bad bottom starboard cylinder. I am in the process of removing the power head but it appears that a ring broke and is wedged in one of the ports and there is only some slight scoring in the cylinder. The other cylinders look perfect. I just got this boat and motor knowing the motor was bad so I don't know what the old owner did. If all checks out to my advantage I plan on honing, a new piston and new rings all the way around. My question is with the "good" condition of the other cylinders what might have caused this failure?

Do you know why the engine blew? If you don't know that, you don't want to rebuild that cylinder, as it will eat another piston ring. I think you mentioned at one point that the muffs fell off for the previous owner? If it is a water related problem, I don't yet have the experience to know how far behind the other 3 cyls. are when one blows. However, it is very common for 3 cyls. to be perfect, and one dead on blown V4s that had a fuel delivery (think where the oil is in 2 strokes) related problem. I if I am remembering correctly, your motor has twin double barrel carbs, correct? And they are horizontal, not vertical, right? (IE, the top carb feeds cyl. 1 and 3, and the bottom carb feeds cyl 2 and 4).