johnson seized up?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifesaball18

Reaction score
well when i got my new boat, i got a motor that is in great condition aesthetically, however it sat for 7yrs and i believe that it is seized up. whenever this happens with or lawn mower we wait it out and let it cool obviosly its different, Now what happens i pull the cord and it goes about 5'' and then stick so i assume it has seized up on us. since i dont think its from overheating/running dry i think that if i spray some wd-40in through the plug holes and wait a couple days to see if it budges at all if it does a little bit ill keep on doing that, b/c to be quite honest i don't know a whole lot about these motors except the basics. And when i take something apart my biggest fear is not getting it back together. Are these pretty simple to take apart if i get a parts repair manual? Im also trying to keep my costs low so anything i can check out at home i want to. So any links or photos would be appreciated still trying to find model number, i know its mid 70's johnson 9.5. I know some of yall are experts.
thanks guys
post pics when my pc wants me too and decides to like me
````Pretty sure its a 1972 50th anniversary edition, 9.5hp at 4,500rpm...
I think someone painted over the plate with the model #, etc

lifesaball18 said:
well when i got my new boat, i got a motor that is in great condition aesthetically, however it sat for 7yrs and i believe that it is seized up. whenever this happens with or lawn mower we wait it out and let it cool obviosly its different, Now what happens i pull the cord and it goes about 5'' and then stick so i assume it has seized up on us. since i dont think its from overheating/running dry i think that if i spray some wd-40in through the plug holes and wait a couple days to see if it budges at all if it does a little bit ill keep on doing that, b/c to be quite honest i don't know a whole lot about these motors except the basics. And when i take something apart my biggest fear is not getting it back together. Are these pretty simple to take apart if i get a parts repair manual? Im also trying to keep my costs low so anything i can check out at home i want to. So any links or photos would be appreciated still trying to find model number, i know its mid 70's johnson 9.5. I know some of yall are experts.
thanks guys
post pics when my pc wants me too and decides to like me
````Pretty sure its a 1972 50th anniversary edition, 9.5hp at 4,500rpm...
I think someone painted over the plate with the model #, etc

Take it off the boat, and lay it down so that the spark plugs are up. Put a little penetrating oil down each cyl. (I have heard that Marvel Mystery Oil is the best for this application, but WD-40 PB blaster etc. will work). After a couple days, try to turn the flywheel clockwise with a socket. If it comes free, and you still have good compression, you should still be alright. Just run the next tank or so of gas a bit rich on oil. If the rust is too thick, or if it doesn't come unstuck, or if you have bad compression afterwards, you will probably need to pour money into a top end rebuild, which I wouldn't bother with on that motor.

thanks, yeah hopefully it comes free, it was just sitting out, but it was only 50.00 more for the motor so i figured maybe if its in bad condition someone else would buy it from me for 50.00 more

So i sprayed WD b/c its what we have lyin around so and it imediatly moved a bit, so i sprayed some more and rocked the flywheel back and forth and sprayed some more so we'll see

Uh oh, i did just remember tho that if there is black and oily spark plugs that the rings are seized... am i remembering correctly?
Its only one so is it fixable?

And i dont know if this helps but is it even seized b/c the prop will spin.

I have not heard that before. Of course, being young, I wasn't exposed to all the ideas of the 70s and 80s, so it could have been a more common problem with older fuels or something of that sort, that isn't of much issue right now.

If your plug is black and oily, it could be one of these:
You have the wrong plug
The plug or ignition leading to the plug is not working properly
You are running to much oil in the gas/oil mixture
Your carb is adjusted wrong so it is not giving it enough air for the amount of fuel.

Also while taking a look at the cylinders, which are score-and- scratch-free, i neoticed it needs a new gasket, isnt their a silicone gasket stuff that you can just get at a auto parts store, seems like i had a friend do that on a small engine of his. and that worked just as well... any thought?

lifesaball18 said:
Also while taking a look at the cylinders, which are score-and- scratch-free, i neoticed it needs a new gasket, isnt their a silicone gasket stuff that you can just get at a auto parts store, seems like i had a friend do that on a small engine of his. and that worked just as well... any thought?

I assume you are talking about the head gasket? If so - NO

You need to get the correct gasket for your motor