Jon additions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrunner

Reaction score
I have been looking at a ton of old posts, but have not found anything I am looking for, so here goes. I want to remove the front deck on my jon boat (1978) Alumacraft 16 foot flat bottom. I want to replace it with a deck on top of the gunnels. I want to take it back to the first rib past the current deck, about 6 inches and leave an opening for the battery and fuel tank access from the the second seat area. The reason for the mod it two fold. First I need to move some weight forward to draft less in the stern and give me some out of the way storage. I will be putting foam under the two floor areas now that I have pulled the floor for the annual spring clean out after the duck season is over.

The other mod raising the back seat about 4 inches due to a transom change two years ago. I went from a short shaft motor to long shaft I want to increase the size of the seat about 4 inches wide as well to the nearest rib for speakers and an area for switches for all the stuff, nav lights, bilge pump, interior lights and a few other things.

I want to have the seat and front deck bent at the sheet metal place then have them weld it in place, they did a good job with the transom replacement two years ago.

Has anyone done this with anything other than wood? I was thinking aluminum .100 sheet bent and cut to shape then put the welder to it. Some bracing will need to be planed to make sure it is strong enough to support my fat butt. I will have to paint the areas again. I repainted the entire boat two years ago when I did the transom remodel. Please give me your input. I will post up some picks of my boat and ideas after drawing them up.