Jon boat plans

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pangborn83

Reaction score
I know it sounds crazy but I have been thinking of building a homemade jon boat in a 2070 version with a v bow, a smallish casting deck, with a rear bench for tiller controlled motor. Aside from that all I want is an open floor plan with a gun/ rod box on each side that could double as a bench seat while duck hunting. I know it sounds like a big project for a first time builder but that is the only size boat I would be interested in at the moment (seems silly to build one I will only put in the water to see if it worked then toss aside) I can weld aluminum with my mig spool gun. I have been looking online for plans I can purchase that would help me along the way but have not really found any for what I am thinking. I know I can purchase the boat for roughly the same amount of money I will have into a homemade, than add my personal touches, but I will enjoy the build, and satisfaction of doing it myself. Has anyone seen any plans for such a boat. Thanks, Jim

I don't know if there are any plans out there for a custom build like that. I would go the route of finding some one local/local business who does drafting with Auto CAD or a similar program. I think that it would be easier in the long run vs. modifying someone else's design for a boat that doesn't quite fit your idea's/ambitions. When I took drafting in high school several of the more advanced student did things like that as side projects for locals & local businesses; and they made a % off what it was contracted out for. I would start there in my search. I don't think you crazy at all, I live in east TX & every now & again I see homemade boats similar to your idea used by commercial fisherman from Louisiana, so it's very realistic that you can do this project. All that it will take is your time, $$$, & labor which will = your custom boat that will be built to your specs + the satisfaction/fun of building it yourself.

Cant wait to see what you come up with, the best of luck to you :D ccm.

Try glen-l boat plans. They have some aluminum designs. Working from a plan from a naval architect is the way to go, especially if you want it to plane out and be safe. They know where it needs support and such.

Any way you go, I for one am really interested in seeing what you make.

with all do respect....a jonboat is a pretty simple/straightforward design...

I'd get some card stock or poster board to cut in to scale sizes to play with shapes then tape together with scotch tape till you get the desired hull form you want... the you can just dismantle it an scale back up.. hard to explain but poster board and scotch tape is cheap..

I've built several boats over the years. My last boat was a 32ft steel hull trawler. Lofting is the term used in the marine industry to scale up the shape of a boat. A jon boat design would be super simple and great fun to build I would think. The basic bulkhead cross section stays pretty consistent all the way through with just minor variances for height and width at that particular point in the hull which it resides. I would go buy some balsa sheets used in model airplanes and build a scale model first. Easy to cut and glue and fair and sand. Then just scale up your measurements from that. Learn to trust your eye as well as a ruler. Lots of information and several forums on the internet to get you started. I would not over think the design and just get started on building. Keep us posted on whatever you decide!

Thanks for all the responses guys. I have already made a smaller scale version (poster paper from my kids school project) but was thinking a deascent set of plans for the basic hull would be a good investment just so I made sure the hull was reinforced properly mainly. I am always told I am a bit overly cautious when I design stuff as I tend to error on the over built side, which usually means everything is heavy lol. I will keep looking and if I don't happen upon plans that fit my needs will just go off my scaled piece (1"=2' currently but if I go with this will probably expand up to 1"=1' scale minimum) thanks again, Jim

poke around on bateau.com.. tons of plans on there.. they're designed for plywood construction but if I remember correctly, I think for a small fee, jaques(site owner/designer) will modify to build out of aluminum... don't quote me on that...