Just brought her home...(Updated Pics 7/01))

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you know guys that are houndsmen...they proab know someone who welds alum....and could hook you up for free...They make Alum. dog boxes....most are homemade....I would proab beat it out as much as possible and then make it close...they'll charge you for makeing it "like new"...A good way to findout who can weld alum. is talk to you local gas supplier (welding gasses) and ask them if they know someone who could help you out.

Ask zoeconner...the guy who cut it boat in two...he could proab help you out...

Old Bill said:
My 1957 Richline has two braces to the bench seats. It doesn't have a data plate. I've been told that starting around 1964 all boats manifactured in the USA had to have data plates attached to the boat's transom.

If this was my boat I would take it to a good welder and get an estimate on how much it would cost to have the transom/hull welded.

To my sorrow, I learned a few years ago that sometimes a "free" boat can turn out to be a very expensive and time consuming project! :cry: I got caught up in the moment and spent a great deal of money "fixing up" an old boat...and when I was finished I still had a very ugly old boat that sold for about half what I had invested!

Ol'%20Blue%20Top%201.jpg

If the welding cost is too much...you might want to start thinking how beautiful Bonda can be! :roll: :roll:

Good luck,

Well whats wrong with that boat??? I love the bimini top! I was thinking of buying one for my boat......I think their pretty cool if you dont plan to fish from the back that day! Where did you get it Bill? Ive seen some on ebay.

Anyway, Im not gonna let this hole get me down. I went to Tractor Supply today and bought some Aluminum angle for the support of the front deck and floor.. Ive been shopping around for it for a while and they were the cheapest. I bought enough to do all my framing for about 30 bucks. (not too bad considering) Thats 3, 6ft pieces and 2, 4 ft pieces. (I think that should do it.)
Im excited to get it to the welder and get movin on..............im still sanding!!

Well whats wrong with that boat??? I love the bimini top! I was thinking of buying one for my boat......I think their pretty cool if you dont plan to fish from the back that day! Where did you get it Bill? Ive seen some on ebay.

The boat was make of VERY HEAVY fiberglass and weighted a ton! It took at least 50 HP to move it through the water...and shortly after I got everything installed...and painted....the 50 HP Mercury Motor went belly up!

The Bimini top was ordered from BassPro and cost $196.98 plus shipping.

It had to be ordered in two parts. The vinyl top PN was 38-581-730-1 (54-60"B) $81.99, the 4-bow frame PN 38-581-706-0 (8' long x 54") $114.99.

Each year BassPro changes the first two numbers for their PN's. When I ordered the Bimini the numbers read: 38-581-730-1. I believe the first numbers are now 20. and not 38.

That seemed to be a very good price for aluminum angle! I'll have to go visit our local Tractor Supply. Thanks for the information!

Wow free! did you go out and play the lottery? with luck like that ya should've :wink:

Looks like your gonna have fun on the build, when ya get it done are you gonna show it back to the fella and say this is the free boat ya gave me :lol:

I've had the prevlidge to run into the guy that I got my boat from and he swears its not the sameone 8)

keep us posted, and congrats

Old Bill said:

The boat was make of VERY HEAVY fiberglass and weighted a ton! It took at least 50 HP to move it through the water...and shortly after I got everything installed...and painted....the 50 HP Mercury Motor went belly up!

The Bimini top was ordered from BassPro and cost $196.98 plus shipping.

It had to be ordered in two parts. The vinyl top PN was 38-581-730-1 (54-60"B) $81.99, the 4-bow frame PN 38-581-706-0 (8' long x 54") $114.99.

Each year BassPro changes the first two numbers for their PN's. When I ordered the Bimini the numbers read: 38-581-730-1. I believe the first numbers are now 20. and not 38.

That seemed to be a very good price for aluminum angle! I'll have to go visit our local Tractor Supply. Thanks for the information!

WOW :shock: 50hp to push that boat........it must have been heavy!
The bimini top I'm looking at is around 100 bucks on Ebay. I bet the one you got from Bass Pro is better quality.......but I may give it a shot.

Jim said:
Cool man! That will be fixed up real nice! Offer the welder a fishing trip or two when its done. :wink:

Thats a great idea Jim! Maybe he will cut some off the price!! :lol:

FishingBuds said:
Wow free! did you go out and play the lottery? with luck like that ya should've :wink:

Looks like your gonna have fun on the build, when ya get it done are you gonna show it back to the fella and say this is the free boat ya gave me :lol:

I've had the prevlidge to run into the guy that I got my boat from and he swears its not the sameone 8)

keep us posted, and congrats

I know what you mean, FishingBuds. I cant wait to finish it and see the look on his face. Thats great that you ran into the previous owner and he couldn't believe it. Thats got to be a great feeling!!!!!

Great news!! I forgot I knew a retired master welder. (play golf with him) Called him today and he told me that he would weld that hole in the boat at the place he used to work. I'm excited because its VERY hard to find someone who will do it. Every welder I talked to this morning acted like I had the plague when I told him I had an aluminum boat. One guy said that he didnt want to but he would do it, but it would cost well over 100 bucks! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
All I have to do is take by bud fishing!!!

I have not had as much time as I thought to work on the project. CMA Fest is here in Nashville, so it will be a busy week.
I have got about 1/2 way sanded, primed and painted. Every time I go to take a picture, my girlfriend has the camera.
To make matters worse, last night I dislocated my shoulder. Its ok though, only takes one arm to sand! :mrgreen:
I'll post some pics in a little while!

Alright.......here is a pic of one side primed and painted. (sorta) I am kinda still toying with the paint. I did this blue with a black pin stipe and I kinda like it. The boat is going to be grey (if you cant tell).
I have also decided to coat the inside with some type of rubber coating to cut down on noise. Im not going to do a full deck.....but Ill put one up front and in the back, leaving the middle open. (with a carpeted floor)
I also posted pics of the seats......looks like its all going to match.

What do you guys think?

sd531464ai7.jpg

boatseatsat8.jpg

CMA Fest nice, bet thats one crazy week. Looking good so far, make sure we get a picture when your finished.

Captain Ahab said:
That is one sharp paint job - the fish will probably just surrender

HA! Thats what I'm thinkin' Captain!
Im actually thinking that the sleaker it looks, the more likely my girlfriend will go out with me. :mrgreen:

bluegillfisher said:
Where'd you get seats?
Your luck must really be good--free boat and a good friend who welds alum. :)
Mary

Buying the seats off of Ebay. I guess I am lucky.......I just know alot of people I guess. The guy I know was a welder for 30+ years for a place called Perma Pipe. (I think) He said that the company only has one machine made to weld aluminum.....but said it would not be a problem. They let him just come in and do things like that I guess. I have not had time to take it yet.

Latest posts